Sporcle, mentally stimulating diversions

For your entertainment. What could this possibly mean? No, it is not the self-debut album of the pop sensation Adam Lambart (only if you want it to be). For you, readers, it can mean anything. If it keeps you entertained? We can talk about. Books, movies, TV shows, music, video games, the latest iPod application, whatever, it can be covered. So don’t hesitate to comment below or e-mail me at [email protected] for anything. Your wish is my command.

Yes, I know you are all thinking this but I am a little late in blogging season. So I am going to have to go back and time and begin my first blog with something I am hoping you all know about: Sporcle.

To those of you who don’t already know, Sporcle is a trivia website with thousands of mentally stimulating diversions. If you see multiple girls in one of your recent frees surrounded by a tiny netbook screen shouting out random answers, my best guess is they were on Sporcle.

The trend of Sporcle came to my attention last year in Mr. Thomas’s room during an extremely productive free behind the partition (RIP). Cassie Redlingshafer and her fellow Harry Potter gurus began to rattle off the surnames names of characters from the seven book series. They could tell me in two seconds the full name of Amycus Carrow. What Harry Potter even is that? Well they knew because of their obsession with this game on Sporcle. Let’s just say I was a little more than impressed. Naturally, I decided to check this website out myself. After a few visits, I quickly discovered the endless possibilities this gaming website had to offer.

Not only was this website for Harry Potter nerds, but geography nerds as well! Oh yeah. I was able to master the location of all 50 U.S. States and their capitals in less than an hour. I even attempted naming all 195 countries of the world. Okay, so I played at home by myself a few times, I admit. But Sporcle can be a social game also, I promise. More into pop culture? Try and name every Glee song featured in each episode of season one. Grab a group of friends, have fun, and maybe even make a little competition out of it. There is essentially a game for everyone.

There have over 10 different categories of trivia games ready to test your brain power. From geography, to entertainment, to science, to history, to literature, to sports, to language, to religion, to movies, to television, to music, and everything in between, there is something every side of the brain.

What is not to love about Sporcle? Educational? Check. Challenging? Check. Entertaining? Check. Sporcle has it all. All you have to do is grab your netty, launch up the internet and there are endless possibilities. So fellow STA girls, I know everyone is grieving the recent loss of Tetris at school. So check out Sporcle and it could become your new best friend.

Share your favorite Sporcle game in the comments below. Who cares if you sound like a nerd, everyone loves a great game of trivia.