Star Spotlight: Gabby Ayala

Star Spotlight: Gabby Ayala
by Mary Hilliard

How many radio contests have you won and who have you met?

I’ve met MKTO, Cody Simpson and Zendaya. I won tickets to Boo Bash, I met Midnight Red, I just recently met Echosmith…

What is your favorite memory from a contest?

I was with Hannah Zastrow and I was feeling really courageous that day, so I wrote my [phone] number on a ticket to World’s of Fun and gave it to Cody Simpson…he didn’t call me.

What is your favorite contest you’ve won?

My favorite was MKTO…I was like talking to my friend in line before we met them and by how loud my voice is they could probably hear me…I was like, “What if I asked them to kiss me cheek” and she dared me so when I went up there I was like “Hey, kiss my cheek”. They were really chill about it and were like, “Yeah, sure.” So they did that and then some other girl in line screamed and said, “I want them to kiss my cheek” and they said, “Sorry she’s the only one because she’s special.” The fact that they called me special makes it my favorite.

What do you do when you meet celebrities?

I’ve talked to them for a while, actually. It’s a nice five minute convo… not Cody Simpson though that was like 10 seconds… I ask them how their life is and I ask them random questions, like with Zendaya I asked her to bust a move. I don’t really have a go-to question. I ask them to take selfies with me and make funny faces…Oh and Zendaya tweeted at me, I asked her to do that.

How do you win contests? What’s your strategy?

I call, I tweet, mostly call. I can’t tell you my strategy, it’s a secret, but I can tell you how many phones I use: I use six phones. Six.

What radio station do you usually call from and why?

I call Mix 93.3 because it is the biggest radio station in Kansas City and I feel like if you get on everyone will hear you. I had a friend one time who said she heard me on the radio winning my Cody Simpson tickets and I just thought that was cool, so I call Mix 93.3 a lot because everyone can hear you and it’s kind of funny when people text you and say “Hey I heard you on the radio.”

Who is your favorite radio host?

Steve Serrano [from Mix 93.3] because he is funny looking. I also love Steve Serrano because after the first three contests I won he remembered my name, and still does, I think. I got sad because he told me one time that I can’t keep winning in the same week so I stopped for two weeks and went back at it again…But Steve is my man.

When did you win your first contest? How long has your streak been going?

[I won my first contest] the summer going into freshman year. My streak was really good last year. I won five contests in two months but right now I’m in a dry spell.

What is one contest you tried, but failed, to win?

A date with Cody Simpson.