Oh, the places they’ve been

story by Lauren Langdon, alternative coverage by Sara-Jessica Dilks and Lauren Langdon, photos by Katie Parkinson
Front photo webSenior Francesca Shilati, right, and her sister Natalie wear custom shirts that their mother ordered that say, “Just did it.” The Shilati family visited their fiftieth state, Hawaii, over spring break.

Eleven years ago, after seeing a set of picture frames with enough space for a photo from every state, Ali Shilati and his wife Laura decided family road trips would be a good way to spend time with their four children.

For the first time, the picture frames hanging in the sunroom are completely filled with photographs of the Shilati family in every state.

To count a state as visited, they had to at least stop and do something within the state.

“We haven’t stayed over night in every state, like in Iowa, we just got lunch and kept driving through,” senior Francesca Shilati said. “In other states, we will stay for a week or do more. It depends on what there is to do in the state.”

Ali teaches a laboratory course in New York state during the summer. This job provides the family opportunities to see more states during the annual road trip.

“We would take out-of-the-way ways to New York,” Francesca said. “Once we went up to Maine and looped back down.”

Francesca believes these road trips bring her family closer since they spend their summers together instead of with friends. During the trip, Laura sets the family itinerary.

“My mom reads out of this AAA book, reads about the state—the history and everything—it’s great,” sophomore Natalie Shilati said.

The road trips are not always planned out beforehand.

“Sometimes we will start driving and and be like ‘Priceline, where’s the closest city and the best hotel?’” Francesca said.

The Shilati family drove to the 48 continental states, but flew to Alaska and Hawaii. Although Francesca enjoys family road trips, she recognizes the convenience of other methods.

“Flying’s easier, but I hate flying,” Francesca said. “I hate turbulence, taking off, landing. I hate all of it.”

Natalie also dislikes flying.

“I don’t mind the turbulence, but I don’t like the smell of planes,” Natalie said. “It makes me nauseous.”

However, no matter the method of travel, the Shilati family has completed their goal of visiting all 50 states. What next?

“My dad was joking, [saying], ‘I’m never taking you guys anywhere again,” Natalie said.

Shilati travels