Rose up to competition

by Madeline Best, photos by Maria Donnelly and Kelly Gardella

Addie Rose

Donnelly_20131021_2082

This manikin wears a sparkly top and chunky necklace inside the Addie Rose Boutique. Addie Rose is a local boutique in the suburbs owned by Megan Doyle. by Maria Donnelly

Addie Rose, located in Leawood, mixes its style by providing clothing pieces ranging from fashionable business wear to concert clothes. According to senior Kiley O’Toole, Addie Rose offers a cozier environment for shopping than larger franchised stores.

“The store is super cute and has a very comfortable feel to it,” O’Toole said. “Everyone who works there is really friendly and they’re always willing to help you find exactly what you’re looking for. It almost feels like you’re shopping in someone’s closet, which makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable.”

Prices at Addie Rose can vary from as low as $10-15 and as high as $100-150.

Donna’s Dress Shop

Gardella_20131023_5216

These jackets hang in Dona’s Dress Shop in the 39th Street area. Dona’s Dress Shop carries vintage clothing and accessories. by Kelly Gardella

Located on 39th Street, Donna’s Dress Shop is a go-to place for vintage clothing in Kansas City. The store carries vintage clothes, jewelry and shoes in styles spanning from the 1940s to the ‘80s. Donna’s Dress Shop also sells new items that have a vintage-inspired style. Popular among STA students, this store boasts unique dresses for events such as the Teresian Dance. A frequent shopper, senior Libby Torres enjoys the environment of the store.

“[Store owner] Donna always has retro tunes playing and the pet birds in their cage just add to the lighthearted feeling,” Torres said. “The store is decorated really cheerfully and all the workers are always ready to help [and] give suggestions.”

Prices at Donna’s Dress Shop differ between new clothing, which runs between $30-80, and actual vintage items, which run between $15-50.

Fortuity

Fortuity gives a paper fortune cookie and a thank you card in every online order, along with cozies for a promotion. Fortuity has two locations in Manhattan and Lawrence, KS, but the main office is run out of the owner’s house. by Maria Donnelly

Although Fortuity’s main retail shop is located in Lawrence and Manhattan, Kan., senior Molly Corless works at the Fortuity office located in Kansas City. As an employee, Corless helps to price, organize and steam clothing. In addition to clothes, the boutique also sells coordinating jewelry, accessories and Greek-life items.

“Compared to franchise store’s Fortuity does have a smaller inventory,” Corless said. “The inventory is a lot of the same style, but in different colors or neckline cuts, which makes it nice to pair with [clothes]. I also think the quality of Fortuity clothing is better because I typically will only price two of each size, so the clothes are not produced as quickly and on such a big scale.”

It’s rare to find an item priced over $40 at Fortuity due to the store’s main clients being college students.