Meet the teach

by Lauren Langdon

Lindsey Nelson

What is your biggest pet peeve of students? My previous teaching experiences I had a lot more pet peeves, so one of the best things so far is that I haven’t seen as much of those so far here. I think one of the things that bugs me the most is when I know students can do better and they are not trying their hardest.

Why do you think the subject you teach is the best? I wouldn’t say it is better than other subjects, but the language arts encompasses reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing and all those are necessary to really read and understand the world around you and so that applies to every other subject that exists.

What was your first impressions of STA? I taught summer school and the first thing I noticed, and went home and told my fiancee, … the girls the very first day left and said “thank you” “goodbye” and I was like “your welcome.” I thought it was so nice that they were so nice and sweet and welcoming. There is not an attitude. I think the students here understand that the teachers are here to help them, not out to get them… I think you guys are good at having fun and being serious when necessary, and have fun when you can.

Do you have a guilty pleasure television show? I really do not watch that much TV, but I love to watch the food network… “Pioneer Woman” is my favorite.

What do you eat for breakfast? My favorite thing is to go to Starbucks and get the ham artisan breakfast sandwich, that is my favorite on the go breakfast food. But, if I have time then I would eat a full big breakfast of pancakes, eggs the works.

What was your dream job when you were little? I wanted to work for Vogue magazine… I didn’t love the journalism school, so I switched to English and decided to become a teacher.

What is one food that you would not eat no matter how much someone paid you? Not really, I’m pretty experimental when it comes to food. I like to cook, I like to eat and I like to go to interesting restaurants.

Where did you go to college? University of Missouri

Where did you grow up? St. Joseph

Meghan Warr

What is your biggest pet peeve of students? I hate it when students don’t put their names on stuff… I’m like, “I want to give you points, but I don’t know who you are.”

Why do you think the subject you teach is the best? I like math, personally, because math is universal, like it looks the same in any language no matter what… I wouldn’t say it’s better [than other subjects], I think that the great thing about our education system is that kids get a little bit of everything.

What was your first impressions of STA? The campus is very different, because the high school that I taught at before this and the high school I went to was just one big building. So, it’s very different to go from building to building so that’s really unique. I went to a coed school and I taught at a coed school before this, so it’s interesting to have all girls which has been really wonderful. I have loved it. I told my husband last night that it’s like they took all the kids I didn’t like in my old school and took them out of my class because the trouble makers tended to be boys.

Do you have a guilty pleasure television show? Probably “Pretty Little Liars.” Me and my mom and my sister all love that show… I haven’t read the books, but I still love that show.

What do you eat for breakfast? I like juice a lot, so I tend to drink juice almost every morning, but not necessarily the same type of juice.

What was your dream job when you were little? When I was really, really little I had a lot of mouth issues, so I went to the dentist a lot. So, I thought I might be a dentist, but ever since high school I really enjoyed math. My junior level teacher when I took trig sent me to a conference with some other girls and it was just about women and mathematics and ever since that day I have wanted to teach math.

What is one food that you would not eat no matter how much someone paid you? Probably, bugs. I don’t know I would ever eat a bug no matter how much someone paid me.

Where did you go to college? Missouri Southern State University

Where did you grow up? Blue Springs