CSJ campers connecting our community

by Madeline Best

Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, or better known around campus as CSJ, have played a part in life at STA throughout the school’s history. One group many students have heard of but may be unfamiliar with are CSJ campers, which consists of STA juniors and seniors. These students have been nominated by their teachers to join the group based on their leadership skills in and outside of the classroom. Yet many students are still left wondering, what exactly do CSJ campers do?

After being selected on a nomination basis by their teachers, the rising juniors attend a three day camp and participate in activities that help them learn more about the Sisters of St. Joseph while learning leadership skills and more about themselves.The first day of camp is centered on learning about the history of CSJ and St. Teresa of Avila. The second day of camp revolves around team building activities while the third day is composed of service and volunteering in the community.

“It’s a three day experience that helps draw the leadership [skills] out of the students and also connects to the CSJ themes and what they are all about,” campus ministry director Joe LaScala said.

According to senior Claire Fisher, attending camp gives students an opportunity to learn more about how to step up and be a leader in the STA community.

“When I first was nominated for it, I was honored that my teachers saw me as someone who had potential to be a leader,” Fisher said. “The camp was a lot of fun and I think I have more confidence in my leadership skills now.”

According to junior Maggie McClain, not only is CSJ camp a learning experience, but also allows campers to build friendships with fellow classmates.

“I was really glad I decided to go to the camp because I learned a lot about being a leader and built relationships with girls I never really had the chance to get to know,” McClain said.

Previously run by former theology teacher Betsy Hansbrough, CSJ camp is now run under the supervision of Mary Beth Compton, Kathleen Barry, and english teacher Carrie Jacquin.

“I think [Compton, Barry, and Jacquin] are going to do a great job with the camp in the future,” Fisher said. “After talking with them a little bit about the camp I can see how much they care about it’s future. They are all CSJ associates and so carrying on the mission of the sisters is important to them. I believe the camp with continue to be successful in the future.”

Once the school year resumes, the CSJ campers meet to discuss their goals for the year as well as plan a prayer service for the feast day of St. Teresa of Avila and any other fundraisers or drives they plan to do.

“We aren’t active like other groups where we meet weekly [or] monthly to discuss any plans,” Fisher said. “Those who have been to camp are good leaders and I think that’s how we are active on campus.”

In the past, CSJ campers have hosted a tampon and pad drive at STA to donate feminine products to women in need. In order to promote the drive, the campers have even turned it into a game to see which building can donate the most or whether the students can donate more than the teachers. Although this drive did not take place last year, the CSJ campers have high hopes for this coming year.

“I think we do want to continue some sort of service project like the tampon drive to stay involved in the STA community,” McClain said.

CSJ campers work together to keep the spirit alive on campus and create a deeper feeling of sisterhood at STA. Current campers urge underclassmen to participate in this opportunity.

“I think the best thing about CSJ campers is that some of us, including myself, were skeptical about the CSJ mission beforehand,” McClain said. “But afterward, we realized it was a great experience that bonded us together. I definitely recommend CSJ camp to the sophomores.”