Career in classics

by Emma Willibey

Senior Hannah Taft envisioned her future as the speaker recounted ancient past. Absorbing a lecture over Helen of Troy at 2011’s Missouri Junior Classical League (MOJCL) convention, Taft committed to classics.

“I’ve kind of found my niche [with Latin],” Taft said.

Taft—or, as Latin classmates recognize her, “Gratia”—sampled French and Spanish prior to STA, but neither appealed to her. Upon entering Latin I, Taft determined her career within weeks.

“A month or so in, I was completely in love with [Latin],” Taft said. “I always remember it making a lot of sense to me.”

To share her passion, Taft joined STA’s chapter of JCL, which organizes competitions for Latin and Greek students. Now president, Taft considers the group essential to her time at STA.

“Probably one of my favorite things [about JCL] is just being able to talk about all this nerdy Latin stuff,” Taft said. “It’s just nice to have an outlet for my love of language.”

To maintain her obsession, Taft will major in classical philology at Wisconsin’s Beloit College before obtaining a Master’s degree to instruct Latin, she said.

“People kind of joke that after I graduate, I’m going to replace Magistra,” Taft said, referring to Latin teacher Sue Marquis.

Taft said that she aims to educate teenagers, hoping to foster enthusiasm like her own.

“[With Latin], it’s been nice to have that one constant class that I always enjoy,” Taft said. “Even if it’s a lot of work, I always look forward to it.”