Where are they now: Transfer students

story by Christina Elias and Libby Hyde; photos collected by Hannah Bredar

For some, it is completely nerve-racking. That first day starting a new school can be quite intimidating. For others, it’s just a blur. Either way, it’s a day that changes everything.

Senior Maddie Miller transferred from STA to the Pembroke Hill School after her freshman year of high school. She said the hardest part was missing her friends from STA.

“Surprisingly, I wasn’t nervous to start a new school,” Miller said. “I don’t really know why. I honestly can’t remember my first day at all.”

Miller was happy. She loved STA, but she was looking for a more academically-focused community. However, she wanted STA to remain an important part of her life.

“I think the girls at STA are amazing, and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to meet them and learn from them,” Miller said. “I can say there is nothing comparable to the school spirit and sisterhood at St. Teresa’s.”

Miller will be starting her freshman year at the University of Notre Dame as a pre-med student, though she said that was still subject to change at this point.

“The only good part about graduation is that it means [AP tests] are over,” Miller said. “But otherwise, it’s a bittersweet moment.”

[nggallery id=549]

Senior Sarah Frey had a unique experience with high school when she transferred out of STA mid-semester during her sophomore year and began online schooling through University of Missouri’s online high school program. Frey struggled with social anxiety and said that coming to STA every day was a “nightmare.” During the time in which Frey transferred out of STA, her family was dealing with her brother’s brain cancer. Frey was able to travel to Turkey with her family to help support her brother in surgery.

“My first day staying at home to do school was fun,” Frey said. “I think I sat in a bean bag chair and started chemistry.”

But even if that first day felt new and different, Frey’s experience wasn’t exactly what she had been expecting.

“I thought it was going to be so easy, but trying to teach yourself chemistry or algebra II is really hard,” Frey said.

Though Frey used a method of learning that many consider to be unique, she said she has been busy.

“Since I have left STA, I wrote a book, spent a month in Turkey, spent 26 days traveling the US, started two businesses and became a better me,” Frey said.

Frey has decided that she will attend University of Missouri next year and plans to study business.

“My experiences being homeschooled have been completely different from STA,” Frey said. “I loved STA while I was there and sometimes regret leaving. However, I know that I would never have come this far and done so much if I didn’t start Mizzou Online.”

Despite leaving STA, Frey has kept in touch with some of her friends from STA, including senior Elaine Schmidt.

Unlike Miller and Frey, senior Chloe Brown admittedly regrets transferring from STA. Brown transferred from STA to Bishop Miege High School the summer before her junior year.

“Going to a new school as a junior wasn’t a good idea in my eyes because everyone had already grown close to each other, and already had all of their friend groups,” Brown wrote. “I’m not really one to reach out to other people.”

Brown said she doesn’t really talk to anyone at Miege like she did at STA.

“I don’t really put on a bunch of makeup before I go to school, but it’s more than compared to what I put on at STA,” Brown wrote. “At STA you don’t have to deal with boys during school. You’re just focused on your work.”

Though she doesn’t talk to many people at Miege, Brown has kept in contact with STA senior Serenity Wallace. They talk or text almost every day.