Tube Socks and Sports Bras: Sporting KC

by Cassie Florido, photo by MCT Campus

For the longest time the main sports teams in Kansas City have been the Chiefs and the Royals. It’s always just been those two teams associated with KC. But watch out boys, there’s a new team in town.

Sporting KC, a major league soccer team, is quickly emerging as one of the most popular teams in Kansas City. Everybody’s talking about Sporting KC.

First, can I just say I am jealous of everyone who has gone to a Sporting KC game. I know soccer is not my favorite sport around; but, those games look like they are sooo much fun. Plus, all the pictures that I see on Instagram of Sporting Park make it look like heaven.

Sporting KC is making major moves for Kansas City. Many of the games are sold out and the fan base keeps growing bigger and bigger. It seems like people finally have a sporting event in town that they can go to and actually watch the team perform well. This summer, I imagine Sporting Park is going to be the place to be. It will be rockin’ all summer that’s for sure.

Being able to have a sell out crowd just shows how passionate people in town really are about this team. I know even a lot of people here at STA are really devoted to this Sporting KC team.

Not only is the team good at attracting fans to the arena; but, I guess you could say they are pretty darn good at soccer too.

photo by MCT Campus

Before their heartbreaking loss to Seattle on Wednesday, the team was 4-4-2. On Wednesday, a goal was scored at the end of the game by a Seattle player to defeat Sporting KC. The team then dropped to third place in the East. But I mean, hey, that’s still pretty darn good.

So, let’s flash back to a couple of years ago when there was this team called “The Wizards” that used to play here in Kansas City. Remember them? Probably not. I mean, did people even ever go watch the Wizards play? Do people realize that it’s actually the same team? Yep, it’s true. Same team. New name. There may be some new faces, a new stadium, and cooler jerseys, but it’s still the same team. But people were never this invested in the Wizards. The Wizards just never reached the level Sporting KC has been able to reach. There is just a different energy about this team. A different kind of passion. A sign of hope for Kansas City.

I get the feeling that as this team continues to market and grow even more, it will become one of the most popular teams in the area. Who needs the Chiefs and the Royals anymore? We have Sporting KC now. We have a team that won’t embarrass our city. We have a team that is bringing excitement and energy to our town, not shame and disappointment. We have a team we can FINALLY believe in. A team worth rooting for.