Top 5…Songs of 2012

Top 5...Songs of 2012

by Natalie Fitts

Yes, I know it’s not the end of 2012 yet, but I figured it might be a good time to start making some year-end lists. Since music is one of my favorite things, I thought I should start with it. Apparently, girls ruled this year because all the songs on here are by female artists (or at least female singers). Here are my top 5 songs of 2012:

5) “Diet Mountain Dew” by Lana del Rey

Something tells me that if I actually met Lana del Rey, I wouldn’t really like her as a person. She doesn’t seem very friendly and welcoming. Fortunately, I haven’t so I can still enjoy her music.

Lana certainly isn’t for everyone. And don’t ever try to listen to her if you want a warm, happy feeling inside. The reason I like listening to her music are her amazing and strange lyrics. The weirdest lyric I’ve ever heard comes courtesy of Lana. I can’t even print here, if that tells you anything. But one of my all-time favorite Lana lyrics has to be “Be young, be dumb, be proud. Like an American.” Both insulting and inspiring at the same time.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7jhsio5GVk]

Other favorites from Lana del Rey: “Ride,” “National Anthem,” “This is What Makes us Girls”

4) “Holy Ground” by Taylor Swift

While “Red” certainly isn’t my favorite Taylor Swift album, it definitely has some fun songs to sing along to, including “Holy Ground.” My favorite line of this entire song is “Spinning like a girl in a brand new dress.” Don’t even try to tell me you haven’t tried on an awesome dress and tried to make the skirt fly out by twirling around in a circle. And if you honestly haven’t, you should give it a try. It’s great fun.

If I was in a romantic comedy, this is the song that would be playing right after Logan Lerman’s character and mine fell in love. Actually, Taylor Swift would just be the entire soundtrack. There’s just something about her songs that make me feel like I’m in a movie, and I really like that feeling.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIAi-O2VcU]

Other favorites from Taylor Swift’s “Red”: “All Too Well,” “State of Grace,” “Starlight”

3) “Where the Kids are” by Blondfire

Blondfire is composed of a brother and sister. Isn’t that so cute? To make it even better, the brother’s name is Bruce, which is simply awesome in my humble opinion. However, his sister Erica is the lead singer. Since they used to be called Astaire, the only thing you will find when you search them on iTunes is their EP from this year and a short holiday album. But don’t let the Christmas album fool you. They don’t sound anything like most artists making holiday albums, which to me is a good thing.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXSkxrw_WA]

2) “Closer” by Tegan and Sara

Tegan and Sara mark the second pair of siblings on my list. They are twin sisters from Canada, which makes me love Canada even more than I did before (if that’s possible). They make me want to start up a band with my own sister. Unfortunately, that prospect looks bleak on account of, we are short on musical talent. I guess Allison could play guitar (though she’s probably a little rusty) and I could whip out my snare drum. Yes, I did play snare drum at one point in time. So if you want to listen to a band consisting of one guitar, one snare drum, and zero singing, just let us know. Until that happens, Tegan and Sara will just have to tide you over with their own awesomeness. They have a new album coming out in January, and my level of anticipation is through the roof.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7MNGPmrlW0]

Other favorites from Tegan and Sara: “Back in your Head,” “The Con,” “I Know I Know I Know”

1) “Anything Could Happen” by Ellie Goulding

While most people were just discovering “Lights,” I had already moved on to “Anything Could Happen,” Ellie Goulding’s first single off her sophomore album. Does that make me cool and indie? (answer: no) “Anything Could Happen” was indicative of the other masterpieces on her album “Halcyon” (I definitely just looked up on dictionary.com how to pronounce that). That title means “calm and tranquil,” which is exactly what I feel when I listen to it. “Anything” is a good song to start with if you’re new to Ellie because it’s just uplifting and fun (as long as you don’t watch the video).

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvzWsrS3JE]

I also need your feedback as to whether or not I should give Ellie’s hairstyle a try. I’ve been looking for a new hair do for a while, but is this too extreme for little old me? Probably, but let me know anyway.

Others favorites from Ellie Goulding: “Believe Me,” “I Need Your Love,” “This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)”

As I’m sure you know (or at least I hope you know), finals start this week. YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! This will be so fun!!!!!!! I love tests so much!!!!!! Just kidding. But I hope you will find solace in the fact that Christmas is a mere 15 days away. That means it’s time to break out your Christmas Snuggie and have a good old time.