Candy now limited in vending machines

by Hannah Bredar

Administration has decided to extract the candy from all of the vending machines this school year. According to Ms. Mary Anne Hoecker administration made this decision because they wanted to improve the overall health and well-being of the student body. Bistro Kids also wanted this change so they could start their program off on the right foot, according to Hoecker.

“Bistro Kids wanted a good start to their program of healthy food,” Hoecker said.

Students have mixed feelings about this change. Sophomore Basil Burnette is upset that the administration took the candy out of the vending machines because it is the student’s decision about what they buy and what they want to eat.

“I know they are trying to make us healthy, but if we take on those stairs every day, I think we can eat a Twix bar with lunch,” Burnette said.

According to guidance counselor Amanda Johnson the change is not to completely cut students off from candy but only to encourage them to make better choices of what they eat.

“If there are only healthy choices [in the vending machines], then it makes it easy for each person to create healthy eating choices for themselves each day,” Johnson said.

According to Hoecker, administration has asked Treat America, the vending machine company, to put some candy into the vending machines but most of it costs $1.25 or more.