This not that: new workouts

by Emily Wemhoff

Tabata interval workouts, not running 5 miles

Tabata, based on a 1996 study by Izumi Tabata, uses 20 seconds of intense exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes. This anaerobic interval workout has been proven to burn more fat and improve your metabolism more than running, plus it takes only 4 minutes if you are short on time. Some types of exercise you can use in your Tabata workout include mountain climbers, jumping rope or sprinting on a treadmill. The best part about this workout is that you don’t even need a gym!

Nike Training Club app, not spending hours at the gym

This free app for iPhone users is like a personal trainer in your pocket. With more than 85 custom workouts and 130 drills that range from 15 to 45 minutes, there is no time for repetition or boredom. Users can select their goals and skill level ranging from lean to toned to strong. After working out, users can earn prizes and unlock exclusive workouts from celebrities. You can even set the workout to music on your phone all while in the comfort of your home.

CrossFit, not Pilates

CrossFit is a vigorous workout that combines weight training, aerobics and gymnastics. It is a program that prepares the body for better fitness by not focusing on one activity. It can be adapted to any skill level, unlike Pilates. You can choose to do the daily workouts on the CrossFit website free of charge or find a CrossFit personal trainer. It is a program that does not need a lot of fancy equipment, but does offer a variety of exercises to keep up the interest level. Visit crossfit.com to find a location close to you.