Yes, we work at the zoo

by Maddie Knopke

When it comes to summer jobs, Bailey Whitehead and Maggie Bowen hit the jackpot. Settling for another night spent babysitting or a job at the grocery store was never an option for them. Their idea to work at the Kansas City Zoo this summer has turned out to not only be a paycheck but an everyday adventure full of unusual co-workers, annoying geese, and brutally hot weather. Bailey and Maggie would now like to share a few words on a particularly special day at the zoo.

6:15 a.m. – Wake up call. Maggie munches on Special-K Red Berries on her way to pick up Bailey. Before she runs out the door, Bailey fills up her “thug jug” with water.

“I can’t leave without my thug jug or else the day is horrible,” Bailey says proudly. “It’s just got this big handle, pretty legit.”
“And her swag bag, of course,” Maggie Laughs. “But, I always forget something. Usually socks.”

9:00 a.m. – Maggie and Bailey chase down some geese in Maggie’s convertible as they pull into the employee parking lot at the Kansas City Zoo. Bailey stands up in the passenger seat, yelling at the geese and quacking. 

“What?” Bailey Lifts her shoulders, “It’s ironic. Ya know, I’m yelling at geese like I’m a goose.”
“No but seriously, those stupid birds can’t take a hint,” Maggie says. “If we wanted them at the zoo, we would feed them, not try to run them over.”

Bailey and co-worker talk about their crush on “Flowy Hair Garden Angel”.
9:05 a.m. – Maggie purposely walks inside without Bailey to ditch her at the gates with “Flowy Hair Garden Angel”, in hopes that Bailey will actually start a conversation this time.

Bailey closes her eyes and raises her eyebrows with confidence, “We’re soulmates he just doesn’t know it yet.”
“The face Bailey makes when he struts up with his hose over his shoulder and his hair flowing in the wind can only be described as total bliss,” Maggie laughs. “And then really angry when I run inside.”

9:45 a.m. – Maggie watches Bailey’s face light up as she gazes at the bus loads of Amish guests arriving at the zoo.

“I’m obsessed with Amish people, I’m going to go visit them in their town. Take some pics,” Bailey says casually.
“Amish them when they’re gone,” Maggie raises her hands, waiting for someone to laugh. “Get it? Yeah, puns are a big part of the day.”

10:00 a.m. – Otter Jokes
“Oh yeah Maggie’s Ott-ober fest…,” Bailey rolls her eyes.
“Example: Flowy Hair Garden Angel is Bailey’s significant otter,” Maggie states.
10:20 a.m. – Bailey and Maggie listen to the EMTs share scarring stories of decapitations, strange 911 calls, and deadly experiences.

“Who knew you could get decapitated riding a motorcycle?”Maggie looks down. “I mean, dang.”

“Okay except they told us sometimes people call because they think they are going to die when their heart starts racing,” Bailey says, “Like, nope…just drink some water.”

11:00 a.m. – Bailey and “Dan the Man” sing every word and note of Bohemian Rhapsody in the ticket window.

“Yeah, Dan, he is the new guy,”  Bailey declares. “I like to make Maggie feel uncomfortable, so like singing and wearing my hair really weird accomplishes that. But this time it was epic, we even got all the guitar riffs down.”
Maggie glares at Bailey, “Yeah…halfway through their performance, I was wishing that I was the one who Mamma had pulled the trigger on.”

Maggie and Bailey joke around during their lunch break.
12:00 p.m. – Lunch in the break room with all the “super cool employees”. Maggie has a luna bar and yogurt. Bailey enjoys a BLT which she stole from the food and beverage department.

“It’s Greek yogurt,” Maggie says, “I’m not a total loser geez.”
“Seriously though, zoo food is freaking expensive,” Bailey says, annoyed. “I refuse to pay that money. Anytime I forget my lunch, I just schmooze something tasty from my friends in the food department.”

12:30 p.m. – 8-year-old boy asks Maggie for her “digits”.

“Okay wow, a little boy kissed my hand too…,” Bailey says, hoping for some recognition.
Maggie lowers her voice and glances at Bailey, “Yeah, the Big Brothers Big Sisters group can get a lil’ too friendly.”

2:00 p.m. – An older lady is carried out on stretcher, passed out from the heat.

“Typical,” Bailey laughs.
“In her defense, she was wearing a Berkah,” Maggie says.

3:00 p.m. – Employees start playing hacky sack around the greeter station.

“Turns out I’m terrible at hacky sack,” Maggie says, disappointed.
“Yeah it’s like twenty employees just standing there playing until our bosses come and yell at us,” Bailey shrugs.

3:30 p.m. – Rubber-band fight.

“Do you see this, right here?” Bailey asks, pointing to a scar on her right arm, “This is a month old. From Darius’ rubber band. But it’s okay, we’re still tight.”
“True story. I refuse to take part, I’m a wimp,” Maggie admits.

3:40 p.m. – A Maintenance worker accidentally drops his name tag as he walks past Maggie. She picks it up and switches it with hers. He didn’t notice for the rest of the day.

“Oh that’s the guy she’s in love with…,” Bailey looks over to Maggie and smiles.
“Umm no comment,” Maggie blushes.

4:00 p.m. – Hugs and high fives are exchanged with their favorite co-workers, including “Mitchlovin” in guest relations, “Miss B” who does the bird show, “Dan the Man”, and “Pay Pay”.

“Oh I’m married to Pay Pay,” Bailey declares. “We are going to go see the amish people together.”
“Bailey has cool handshakes with everyone…I’m workin’ on it, maybe some day,” Maggie says hopefully.

4:05 p.m.- Maggie accidently chases a cat into the zoo.

“Sooo close. So close,” Maggie squints.
“Oh my God…free re-enactions available for anyone wants to laugh until they cry,” offers Bailey.

Yes, Maggie and Bailey work at the zoo. Yes, they took tickets from a sizable amount of Amish people everyday. Yes, they sang on the job. Yes, the rubber-bands left battle wounds. Yes, Bailey and Maggie are ready to do it all over again next summer.