Administration switches school lunch providers

By Christina Elias
President Nan Bone smiles with approval as sophomore Averie Stapp adds crutons to her salad. Bistro Kid’s salad bar was a hit for students and staff.

The STA administration recently made the decision to switch lunch providers for the 2012-13 school year from JoJo’s to Bistro Kids as a step forward in the administration’s 2012-16 Strategic Plan, an outline of priorities set for the school to accomplish by 2016.

Bistro Kids is a food services company that currently provides healthy lunch and snack alternatives to seven other locations in Kansas and Missouri, including Bishop Ward High School and YMCA of Greater Kansas City.

“Nine years ago was the first time I had ever heard of Bistro, and then it was last year that, as we were talking about what would be the best food service, I said we should really talk with Bistro Kids again,” principal for student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker said.

A few food items currently offered by the company include wraps, sandwiches, pita bread and hummus, a salad bar, fruits, vegetables and beverages such as tea and milk, but the menu is subject to change.

“We’re going to get a suggestion box out there at some point,” assistant chef Matthew Stansfield said. “Whatever you guys like, we want to know. Whatever you guys don’t like, we want to know. It’s hit and miss; we’re feeling out the menu, seeing what sells and what doesn’t.”

Head chef Maxwell Littlejohn commented that he and Stansfield make up the menu as they go.

“There’s some method to it,” Stansfield said. “For example, forty percent of what we order food-wise has to be local and organic. Our corporate chefs give us pretty strict ordering specifics so depending on what we can get . . . we kind of derive our menu from that.”

According to Hoecker, the plan is for menu items to vary throughout the year.

“The chef is going to make soups for the colder weather,” Hoecker said. “I think that his plan is to add a lot of variety. But they’re just now getting a feel for how many students will eat, and then they want some warm food.”

Senior Anna Woolery was skeptical of how different Bistro Kids would be from JoJo’s, but was not against the transition.

“I don’t think JoJo’s was particularly unhealthy,” Woolery said. “It’s great STA is trying to provide a healthier environment for students, but like Bistro Kids, JoJo’s provided salad and chicken wraps too. I don’t think this switch is going to cause any radical changes in students’ diets . . . However, I’ve heard really good reviews of Bistro Kids.”

Hoecker remarked that so far, the reaction to Bistro Kids has been positive.

“I’ve not heard any student who said she hated it,” Hoecker said. “I’ve heard students say everything from ‘awesome’ to ‘it tastes really good.’”

Even the freshmen, though new to STA, agree with the administration’s choice.

“I like how easy and quick it is compared to making my own lunch,” freshman Grace Girardeau said. “I’ve only had a salad, but it was good! And the chocolate milk is the peak of my day!”

The administration is also pleased with the food services company thus far, and has no inclination to switch providers again any time soon.

“I hope it’s long-term, because I think it offers some of the healthiest food available,” Hoecker said.