‘To be honest’ statuses really honest?

To be honest statuses really honest?
By Caitlin Fletcher

After school you go home and log onto facebook to check out some pictures one of your friends just posted. Then in the upper right hand corner of your screen you see the number 135 above your notification bar. You wonder how this happened until you remember. This is what happened when freshman Carolyn Hornbeck decided to post a to be honest (TBH) status.

“Like my status for a 100% completely honest TBH in your inbox,” Hornbeck’s status said. “I’ll do everyone.”

When Hornbeck posted this as her status on facebook, people liked or commented on it. Then she went to the walls of all the people who commented and told them exactly what she thinks of them. However, Hornbeck didn’t actually do everyone. According to Hornbeck she only answered about 75 people.

“So many people like it and it gets really annoying to answer everyone and say something like: you’re cool or you’re really pretty,” Hornbeck said.

Hornbeck admits those responses weren’t 100% honest like she said they would be. According to Hornbeck too many people liked her status so she couldn’t live up to that.

“If I don’t like someone I’m not going to post on her wall and say something mean,” Hornbeck said. “Instead of doing that I just don’t answer the people I don’t like.”

According to freshman Maggie Jackson people don’t really take TBH statuses seriously. She doesn’t think people expect someone to tell them exactly what they think about them on facebook.

Although Jackson spends a lot of time on facebook and has seen many of her friends making TBH statuses, she has never posted that as her facebook status.

“They’re kind of a waste of time, and it’s weird when people you don’t know very well or don’t really like comment on it,” Jackson said.

According to Jackson TBH statuses have been coming up on her newsfeed on facebook for a while, but it’s mostly people who are freshmen and younger posting these statuses.

“My sister is in eighth grade and she makes them all the time,” Jackson said. “I usually make fun of her, but I guess it’s a cool thing for some people.”

After Hornbeck made her status she agreed with Jackson.

“They’re really pointless and get kind of annoying when you make one,” Hornbeck said.

According to Jackson a lot of freshman use TBH statuses to pass time, but in the end most think exactly what Jackson and Hornbeck think. They’re a waste of time.