Lights, camera, dissatisfaction

[singlepic id=4451 w=320 h=240 float=left]
by Mallory Radtke

Dear Lord, do these kids’ parents know what is going on? she repeatedly thought to herself.

Imagine a 200-pound woman, with a single golden snaggle tooth, blocking your entrance to an event you already spent $45 on. She wears a red uniform shirt, with her straight black pants. On her back you read: SECURITY, in big bold letters. However, she could do without the uniform, because everyone there knows she means business. Just call her Alicia.

Alicia stands at the entrance, shaking her head as the frustration became more apparent on her face: They’re all underage. This shouldn’t be happening.

On March 31, teenagers piled into Uptown Theater for “the world’s largest paint party,” also known as DayGlow. As supervisor of security, Alicia attempted to oversee the hundreds of people who wore all white clothes, dressed up as fairies and Star Wars figures, and aspiring swimsuit models.

Alicia scanned people’s tickets as her eyes scanned the crowd in search for alcohol or drugs among the teens. She tightened her arms and threw back her shoulders while patting down every attendee.

We have had a lot of shows, but nothing like this with all the medical calls. Nothing like this.

Sirens could be heard all throughout downtown. Fire trucks and ambulances could have grilled out on Broadway street. This was the first time Alicia dialed 9-1-1 over 20 times in one night to help those under the influence, and the event had only been going on for about 3 hours.

“The fire department responds first, then the ambulance,” Alicia sighed. “We have had so many medical calls and most of them are underage. I don’t think anyone has been 21 yet.”

Alicia is more than just a strict security guard. Her motherly instincts come in after having a 17 year old daughter of her own. One girl strutted with confidence sporting only a swimsuit. Really? A bikini? she thought openly to herself.

“I feel bad for the kids,” Alicia said. “A lot of kids here are under the influence and they don’t realize they could kill themselves because they’re so out of it. Being drunk and high and mix that with the heat…It is just bad.”

Alicia had already turned away 10 teens, and she was prepared to prohibit any others from entering, who had the potential to get hurt.

You really want me to tell you a story? Alicia thought as she laughed to herself.

There was a 17 year old girl, who decided to take a break from the paint craze and grueling heat from inside Uptown. This downtown neighborhood is not the safest, even for those who are sober. The security guards sensed something was wrong, and it had a lot to do with the fact she reeked of vodka. Alicia followed the scent of alcohol, until finally laying in front of her was the same girl, sprawled in the bushes.

As Alicia retold the story her face drooped. As the kids’ parent for the night she could not answer anymore questions. She could not tell any more stories. She turned away, slowly walked up the hallway and stood silently in the doorway until from a distance people heard: “Don’t you tell me how to do my job fool!”