STA mom starts business that will knock your socks off

by Rowan O’Brien-Williams

Junior Sarah Kostoryz returned from Christmas break feeling down. She confided in her friends, including junior Elaine Schmidt, about her troubles. The next day, Schmidt presented Kostoryz with a pair of socks reading “strength” to help Kostoryz through the rough time. These socks are part of a business called Notes to Self, LLC, started by Elaine’s mother Ms. Laura Schmidt. Founded less than a year ago, this company sells socks with positive sayings on them.

Laura said the idea to run this type of company came to her when she was reading a book about positive affirmations.

“I have been a believer in the power of positive affirmations – phrases that we say to ourselves to build confidence and train our minds – for about the last 20 years,” Laura said. “The subconscious mind is most accessible [first thing in the morning and late at night, when the conscious filters of our minds aren’t fully ‘up’]. I thought, ‘What if I put positive affirmations on the toes of socks?’ Then at least twice a day, the person wearing them would see those words, and they’d be training their minds, without even trying.”

When Laura imagined this business idea, she was working as an independent sales director with Mary Kay Inc. In fact, she still works for Mary Kay part time, but says she is devoting her “full-time” hours to Notes to Self, LLC.

Laura began actively working with the sock business idea last April, and the business became a limited liability corporation (LLC) last July. She had her first prototype last summer and sold her first socks last August. Now, her socks are sold at over 15 locations, including Hallmark in Independence Center, Village Active in the Prairie Village Shopping Center, Payton’s Closet in Liberty and online at www.notestoself.com.

Instead of hiring direct employees to help manage the business, Laura hired consultants to assist with certain aspects of the business and runs the rest herself. Over time, Laura has worked with several specialists, including attorneys, website developers and tax advisers.

“I learned a lot of sales and marketing from having my own direct sales business all of these years,” Laura said. “I have also been taking classes for the last five years through the Kauffman Foundation and through the Women’s Business Center and the Enterprise Center of Johnson County to learn about other aspects of business.”

Laura said running this business affects her everyday life.

“When Elaine’s friends come over now, they are used to boxes of ‘the socks’ greeting them,” Laura said. “We have plans to delegate some of the fulfillment in the near future, so we will have a front room and dining room to use for the family again soon.”

The business also affects Elaine’s life. Elaine said the socks affect her mental state and have seemingly taken over her life.

“My house is constantly buzzing with talk of vendors, fulfillment companies, shipments, toe seams and anything else relating to socks,” Elaine said. “Even though it is a little overwhelming at times, I love the business and the socks. It really brightens my day when someone tells me about the impact the socks have had on his or her life. When I hear one of these stories, I smile and think about how awesome my mom is, and how she is doing something that she loves in order to improve the lives of others.”

Elaine also values the socks’ positive meanings.

“Personally, the socks have an enormous impact on my life, especially when I play volleyball,” Elaine said. “When I was younger, I struggled with confidence on the volleyball court. When my mom created this company, she made “I am confident” socks with me and other athletes in mind. Now, whenever I play, I look down at my feet and remember that I am confident and that I have my parents’ support.”

Elaine has had a part in creating these positive phrases, as have other members of Laura’s family. According to Laura, each phrase actually has a “story.” Laura shares these stories on the Notes to Self website, www.notestoself.com.

“I started with affirmations that have been my favorites, or that I thought would be most helpful to others,” Laura said. “‘I am smart’ is a phrase that I initially thought of for young children. My thought was: ‘Wouldn’t it be great if kids too young to read had seen “I am smart” so many times, that it became part of their thought process, and it could possibly be one of the first phrases that they learn to read?’ That kind of positive message could impact their lives forever.”

Elaine has also shared these socks and their messages with other students at STA.

Kostoryz said she likes the socks because they help her refocus during the day.

“The words on the socks are powerful and a helpful reminder of what to work for that day,” Kostoryz said. “Also, if you think about it, when you are insecure, upset, or stressed you look down and what is better than to see a positive affirmation on your feet?”

[wpvideo 6WRApxU2]

In addition, Kostoryz also sees Laura as carrying out part of the mission of STA.

“Since I have known Elaine Schmidt’s mother, I think it is the perfect job for [Laura],” Kostoryz said. “[Laura is] extremely positive and wants to be proactive in every community. It’s a small, practical act of ‘helping the dear neighbor,’ which is what we value at STA.”

Elaine has even gifted the socks to members of the faculty at STA. Social studies teacher Craig Whitney received the socks as a Christmas gift from Elaine. Whitney likes how the socks fit and how an STA mom started the business.

“They’re really comfy,” Whitney said. “And I think [an STA mom starting her own business is] a great idea. I completely support entrepreneurs starting their own businesses. That’s kind of why I did the Smoothie Queen in econ class; I wanted to bring the entrepreneur idea to the students.”

Since Notes to Self, LLC., and its customer base has expanded, Laura has set new goals for this year.

“Our goal by the end of 2012 is to get a million pairs of socks on peoples’ feet through sales and donations of socks to charitable organizations, directly by our company and through partnerships with other philanthropists who also have a passion for helping young people in this way,” Laura said.

The company’s ultimate mission is to improve people’s lives through the use of the positive affirmations on their products, the first product being their socks. According to Laura, these socks help people re-program their minds to create better thoughts about themselves. Laura feels that the result is that people will have more confidence, happiness and joy in their lives. For younger wearers, the company hopes the socks will reinforce how smart, wonderful and great they are.

“We intend to expand our work into speaking to groups about the impact that positive words and thoughts can have on their lives, their relationships and their results,” Laura said. “The central purpose and role of the company is to provide high-quality positive affirmation socks to as many pre-teen and teenagers in this country as possible. We can’t speak to every one of them every day, but these socks will ‘speak’ to them, and help remind them of how wonderful they are. When our customers think of us, we hope they smile.”