Stars Across Seas: Day 4

By: Barbara McCormick, Principal for Academic Affairs

Arriving in Tianjin, I was awestruck by the city’s beautiful architecture and winding Haihe River. School tours and conversations with students, teachers, and educational leaders have filled the last two days of my journey. Pictured with me are three middle school students from Tianjin No. 20 Middle School. These school ambassadors shared their experiences with me and walked me through the many buildings that make up their school campus. There are about 3000 students attending their school. Classroom teaching demonstrations were planned for us so that we could witness a Chinese student’s learning experience. Classrooms contain anywhere from 35 to 50 students for a lesson. Technology is in the hands of teachers but not much is available to students. The fine arts are infused throughout the student’s day and 20-25 minutes of whole group exercise is scheduled two times a day to energize students. Teachers and students arrive around 7 a.m.  and many do not leave school until 5-6:30 p.m. There is no school bus; therefore, students must walk, bike, take a city bus, or catch a ride with family. Sports are not a large part of the school’s mission; however, they value the daily routine of exercise. All students learn English as a second language beginning in 3rd or 4th grade. Because there are so many people in China earning an education is highly competitive and students along with their families focus on getting high marks on the college entrance exam which they must pass to have an opportunity to attend a university. The eighth graders pictured with me shared their concerns and anxiety over their recent exam which will qualify them for a “key”  (outstanding) secondary high schools. Because China has so many people students must compete for an education beginning at an early age. While visiting Tianjin High School No.7, a national model school, I was given a Chinese yo-yo by a student. A young lady worked with me as I tried to learn how to hold the two sticks and balance the wooden object while moving the string up and down. It is more difficult than you think. Gift giving is customary among Chinese leaders; therefore, we delegates brought small gifts for the principals and dignitaries we planned to meet during our visits. I had the honor of giving and receiving the gifts for our delegation at Tianjin No. 20 Middle School. The principal and I shared a moment in front of our colleagues as we presented each other with memorable gifts on behalf of our organizations. Following each school visit American school leaders had the opportunity to discuss future sister school partnerships. I approached Grace J. Wang, principal of Tianjin No.7 High School, about a future relationship which would involve student and teacher experiences that enhance their understanding of one another. I look forward to returning home with these first steps taken along a journey that will enhance our student’s knowledge and relationships with others in today’s global society. I would like to end with a quote from Peter Negroni, vice president of The College Board, “A thousand mile journey begins with a single step”. We have just begun this journey and I look forward to the road ahead with you all.