Stars Across Seas: Day 1

Day 1: Saturday, November 5, 2011
Today, we experienced China’s history by visiting Tian’an Men Square where hundreds of Chinese natives patiently stood in the rain with umbrellas perched overhead inching their way to catch a glimpse of  Mao’s Mausoleum. The Square has witnessed death and triumphant over the years with events such as the 1989’s pro-democracy demonstrations and the founding of the People’s Republic of China on October 1, 1949. Upon passing under Mao’s portrait we entered the Forbidden City, otherwise known as the Palace Museum, a continuum of halls, gates, courts, palaces, and gardens. I found it a place of great architecture and artistry.

A family style Chinese meal provided us the nourishment we would all need for the next leg of our journey. The tour bus pulled up at Juyong Guan, a pass along the way to Badaling, that exposed the eye to rising mountains and nature’s beauty.  As you can see the 13th century Mongols and 17th century Manchus had their work cut out for them when scaling these walls. I enjoyed the strenuous climb, making nGreat Wall of Chinaew friends, and the reward of a breathtaking view. It’s incredible to think that the Great Wall was created following the unification of China under Qin Shi Huangdi (221-210 BC) and still exists today.

I am learning what it feels like to be a fish out of water and a true foreigner during this visit; however, the Chinese delegate guides and college board employees have made me feel welcome. This visit continues to teach me not only about the Chinese people but also about myself. It’s never too late to learn, set new goals, and challenge oneself in a world that is growing ever smaller due to the possibilities a global society has to offer. 再见