HOW TO: Support National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

By Nikki Rodriguez

During October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month gets all the hype. Even the NFL guys rock pink to support the cause, but as it catches on, businesses use their support of breast cancer awareness to shamelessly self promote a product.

So for the rest of the month, support another October cause that is often forgotten: National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

One in four women and one in 13 men will experience domestic violence in their life. 43 percent of college women have experienced abusive or violent dating behavior.

Here’s some ways to support the cause:

1. Firstly, sport some purple ribbon. Consider a bumper sticker:

2. Check out a Marshall’s store. Marshall’s is donating money from every purchase of shoes to the National Domestic Violence Hotline during this month. Domestic violence hotlines handle over 22,000 calls a day.

3. Donate your old cell phone. They’ll be refurbished and sold with the profits benefiting the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

4. Pray.

Did you know October was National Domestic Violence Awareness Month? What are other ways to support the cause? Comment below!