My Fair City: What to do at First Fridays

Every first Friday of the month, the galleries of the Crossroads District open up to the public through the evening. Crowds gather to filter in and out of the galleries, eat from the various food trucks and watch the street performers.

Devoid of judgement of those that go just to say they did or whatever, here’s my advice for the classic First Fridays experience:

1. Recruit a small group

It’s annoying and difficult to walk through the streets and galleries in a group exceeding four people. Keep it small and simple.

2. Go in the early evening

Most galleries close around nine, so if you arrive anytime close to then, you won’t be able to see that much art. Plus, around seven, parking becomes a nightmare.

3. (This might sound dumb and motherly but..) Go to the bathroom before you leave your house

You’ll be glad you did when you see the long lines for the bathrooms like at Mildred’s.

4. Stop, listen and talk to some of the street performers

Generally, they’re really charismatic and personable people, so don’t be scared to engage them in conversation.

5. Collect as many handouts and pamphlets as possible

You don’t really have to do this, but I always make it a competition with myself. In the process, you can find out about cool events going on in KC or become more aware of certain issues.

6. Wear comfortable shoes

Leave your heels at home. I’ve seen it happen. Just don’t do it.

7. Don’t call everyone there “hipsters

More than likely, if you’re there, you’re one too, so don’t do it.

8. Buy a Fresher than Fresh snow cone

I always go for whatever the Daredevil Special is, but the other flavors include blackberry lavender, lemon prickly pear, and pineapple and serrano pepper.

9. Explore beyond 18th St.

For some reason, this massive group of younger people always accumulates on 18th and Baltimore. There’s more to the Crossroads than that, so go find it!

10. Most importantly, actually go into galleries!

What’s the point of going to First Fridays if you’re not going to see the exhibits. Pretend you’re an art critic. Learn something. Don’t just stand around on 18th St. staring at everyone else standing there. Take advantage of all the art in all the galleries around you.