Sophomore recollects first day of high school

By Sara-Jessica Dilks

Summer is over.

Throughout the past few weeks, I have been continuously reminded of the fact that my summer vacation is gradually wrapping up and that my official label of a”freshman” is metamorphosing into that of a “sophomore.”

Now that I am back on campus at STA to start the new year, I am starting to recollect my experiences and thoughts from one year ago, on my first day as a high schooler.

That morning, I was overwhelmed with excitement, nerves, and uncertainty. Before I left for school, I had ever-so enthusiastically updated my Facebook status: “GOODBYEEE SUMMER, HELLOOOO ST. TERESA’S!!:)”

I tried to nonchalantly wave goodbye to my dad, who was dropping me off in his environment-friendly compact car, adorned with political bumper stickers. Upon getting out of the car, I felt self-conscious of my embarrassingly long skirt and awkward netbook case.

I smoothly pulled out my phone to send a mass text to several friends from my grade school of St. Elizabeth. It read, “are you here yet?!??!”

I then wandered to Goppert to find my advisory. Ms. O’Rear welcomed me to sit down along with my fellow advisees. I felt slightly uncomfortable when a sophomore I did not know, Elaine Schmidt, greeted me by attacking me.

Two hours later, my face turned red when my phone rang during Ms. Harris’s algebra class. It did not help that my friend had set my ring tone as the Spanish version of “Waka Waka” by Shakira.

After a few more classes (and a lot of schedule-checking), it was lunch time. I had already arranged via Moodle message to meet my friends in the quad so we could enter the bustling Commons all together.

After a not-so-appetizing lunch of JoJo’s chicken alfredo and a talkative activity period in Montag, I headed to Dolan for English. I panicked upon discovering I knew almost no one in my class, but ended up making a few new friends who were in the same situation.

By the end of my eventful and not-so-perfect first day, I could not help but assume the next four years at STA would be similar. I was wrong.

Within a few weeks into my freshman year, I gradually learned the ins-and-outs of STA, and most of my first-day experiences did not influence the rest of my year. I learned to speak up in class, be open to meeting new people and use frees wisely.

This year, I will walk into my familiar advisory wearing my broken-in skirt. I will not feel the need to use Moodle messaging to monitor my friends’ every move. I will not feel violated when Elaine Schmidt attacks me, because I know she is just showing affection.

So to the incoming freshman: do not let your first-day experience affect how you view St. Teresa’s. Learn from your mistakes. Overcome your fears. Embrace your personality. Be open to new friends. And most of all…please, please, PLEASE set your ring tone on silent.