Freshman school survival guide

Freshman school survival guide

WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU TO YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

• A prepared organization system: Folders, binders, spirals, etc. are all okay, but color-coding is best.
  • Writing utensils – Different teachers require you to have different materials, but always bring pens, pencils, and multi-colored highlighters.
  • USB drive – Backing up all your files onto a USB drive from your Netbook (aka your Netty) is imperative because our netties sometimes crash, a lot.
  • Index cards and sticky notes- They will be used in most language classes or for vocabulary and are handy for reminders.
  • Book covers – Most teachers want you to have and use them.
  • Comfortable backpack- Backpacks are taken from class to class, which means up and down stairs and across the Quad. Make sure it can handle the weight and won’t hurt your shoulder or back.

FRESHMEN TEACHER TIPS

• Take good notes because a lot of tests and quizzes come from presentations and details in the textbook
  • Participate in class and jot down notes during informal lectures; there are a lot of in-class discussions and points from them which can be used when writing essays or on tests and quizzes.
  • Keep up with assignments and study vocabulary.
  • Bring a good attitude to class and be open to different ways of learning.
  • Be self-reliant and don’t expect teachers to guide you too much.
  • No question is a stupid question.
  • Take all extra credit options offered to you!
  • Do homework even if it is not required (like in math classes); This will improve your understanding of concepts and help on tests and quizzes.

LUNCH

• JoJo’s is $5 – The chicken fingers are the best, but everything else is not too bad.
  • Most food from the vending machines ranges from $1 – $2.50.
  • Bring a big enough lunch to share – People forget theirs all the time or might just steal food from you anyways.
  • If you see someone who is sitting alone, sit with them or invite them to sit with you.
  • Don’t be afraid to accept help; that’s how you make new friends.

FREES

• Use frees wisely; it’s a good time to get homework done.
  • Silent Study (the Commons in the morning and Verheyen after lunch) and the library are quiet places to work done.
  • Ms. Prentiss’ is the place to sleep.
  • Ms. Dolan’s is the room to talk in, and she sometimes even shows a movie or two
  • Ms. Montag will normally let you in, even if she has a class.
  • If it’s needed, this is the time to charge your Netbook.

HOMEWORK

• Keep a good system (whether it’s using the STA Planner given to you or sticky notes on the Netbook) of keeping track of your assignments.
  • Get as much done as possible at school.
  • On the weekends, don’t wait until Sunday to do all your work.
  • Try not to procrastinate.
  • Save your files frequently.
  • Quizlet.com is an excellent resource to make online flashcards and then play games to help you learn them.
  • Google Docs is an easy way to peer edit papers for any class and save files that can be accessed on any computer or a smart phone.
  • Be nice to Netty because students are responsible for the cost of any damages.
  • Consider charging the Netbook every night as part of your homework because most teachers will not let you charge it in class and if it runs out of battery, it becomes the student’s fault.

PROCRASTINATION METHODS (should be used sparingly due to possible grade failure)

• The Netbook blocks all social networking sites, Youtube and other video providers, email services, and most blogs and sites that allow the posting of blogs, so don’t spend too much time trying to access them.
  • Moodle messaging
  • Sporcle