Getting to know St. Teresa’s Academy’s new coaches

Andy Wilcox

Position: head swim coach

Background/experience: Coached the boys and girls programs at Truman High School, founded the boys and girls swim programs at Lee’s Summit North High School in 1995 where he coached for 14 years, coached United States Swimming and summer league

Why STA:  Wilcox was aware that STA was looking for a swim coach and knew there would be no conflicts of loyalty with his teaching position at Rockhurst High School.

Looking forward to:  Building a great swimming and diving program at STA and going to the State meet in St. Louis.

Looking for in a swimmer: willingness to sacrifice, work hard and be dedicated.

According to Hough: ‘Wilcox is on the ball and knows what he wants.’

Contact info: [email protected]

To visit the STA swimming and diving webpage, click here.

Doug Nelson

Position: head basketball coach

Background/experience: coached basketball at Rockhurst University, Baker University, JCCC and Missouri Western State College and high schools in Kansas, New Mexico and Arizona

Why STA: ‘STA has the expectations and standards that I would want to be a part of.’

Looking forward to: ‘Making progress and making it back to the glory era of STA basketball.’

Looking for in a basketball player: ‘They have to be good students, positive ambassadors for the mission of STA and I want a team of players proud to wear black and gold.’

Goals for this year: Win the Irish Cup (a crystal vase presented to the winner of the STA vs. Notre Dame de Sion High School game)

According to Hough: ‘Out of a large stack of applicants for this position, Nelson really stood out.”

Contact info: [email protected]

To visit the STA basketball webpage, click here.

Katherine Mingle

Position: head dive coach

Background/experience: was a member of the Homestead Country Club dive team and the Shawnee Mission East dive team and has been the assistant dive coach at Homestead Country Club for the past six years

Why STA: she knows several familes at STA that she has coached including the Arensbergs and the Hutchisons

Looking forward to: getting to know the ‘lovely ladies!’

Looking for in a diver: any remote sense of coordination and a good sense of humor

Goals for this year: at least two State qualifiers

According to Hough: ‘This job is something Mingle really wants to do and she is very excited about it.’

Contact info: [email protected]