I Challenge You: Week Twenty-Two Challenge

There’s good and then there’s good enough.  For the past week’s challenge of not watching TV, I think I did good enough.  I didn’t watch any at all during the school week, which was really the main point because I didn’t want TV to distract me from homework.  However, yesterday I gave in and caught up on “Modern Family”, “After Lately”, and “The Office”. 

During my TV-free week, I do admit to watching a good amount of Youtube videos.  And yes, Rebecca Black‘s “Friday” was one of them (read Katie Hyde’s blog about the smash hit here).  Besides being the best song I ever heard, it got me thinking: “What other lesser known artists are a few million clicks away from being the next musical sensation?”  Therefore, this week I pose the question towards you and challenge you to pick one of your favorite lesser known artists and try to get your friends interested in them.

Now I do warn you, it won’t be easy to find one of your favorite bands that is even close to being a musically gifted as Rebecca Black, but you’re going to have to try.  She has a legitimate rapper in her video.  That’ll be hard to top.  Personally, my favorite under-rated bands right now are Sleigh Bells, Cody Simpson, Two Door Cinema Club and A Silent Film.  Please note that the Cody Simpson video has 12 million views, but that is only because he is huge in Australia.  You can thank me for bringing him state side.  Everyone should definitely check out Cody and all of the other artists!  Here is my advice to you on how to get your favorite bands out there:

• share the music: Make a mix CD for your friends.  It’s a great way to get your favorite bands heard, as well as discovering what your friends like.
  • use Facebook: Post music videos to your friends walls.  Not only will they follow the link, but so will anyone who sees it on their news feed.  “Like” your favorite bands to see which of your friends like them, too.
  • use DartNewsOnline: Comment on this post.  Tell me and all DNO readers what you like to listen to.  Also, juniors can request songs for the Junior Ring dance here.

If you are looking for an extra challenge this week, try to promote an artist or band that you have never even heard of.  Discovering new bands is a fun way to expand your musical horizons.  So let’s go out this week, spread the word about our favorite bands and conquer this challenge!

How did the week 22 challenge go for you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.