Construction blues: turn those frowns upside down

You saw the dirt being turned, you saw the bishop blessing the grounds, and all you can think about is how our campus is transforming into a construction site. But turn those frowns upside down and read a few little anecdotes that might be appreciated by many of you who are mourning the temporary loss of our beautiful quad.

The roof is on fire!?

Not going to lie, being on staff of the Dart has its privileges. So a fellow staffer, photographer Sarah Wirtz, had the opportunity to observe the whole ceremony from the roof.

Maybe Mr. Thomas had to chaperone and okay she did get to snap some pretty cool photos, but I will admit that I was extremely jealous. I would have loved to see the whole ceremony looking down on the STA community and watching their every move like ants in a magnify glass.

As Mr. Thomas and Sarah returned to class after having their fun in forbidden places on campus, I asked their experience on the roof was. Naturally Mr. Thomas responds with, ‘Well, we raised it.’ Classic.

Father, what’s on your head?

So Bishop Finn came to STA. Let’s just say, he is kind of a big deal. Like Dart staffers, bishops have a few a privileges as well. Bishops are so awesome, they get their own special kind of hat. Not only do they get a special hat, but an assistant just to carry that hat and bring it to them at appropriate times. That kind of funny looking hat is actually called a mitre and makes Bishop Finn look pretty legit.

Okay, so why am I talking about the Bishop’s hat? Well, the mitre is a pretty serious item of clothing that is only worn during certain parts of the mass. So as an expert ‘hat wearer,’ I would expect Bishop Finn to look good in any type of head wear, right?

One thing I learned from the Breaking Ground ceremony is that the bishop can rock a yellow hard hat. Yep, Bishop Finn with his priest garments and a construction hat. Let’s just say it was a total LOL moment.

Just a typical STA moment

Even though, yes, half of our campus is now fenced in as a construction site. Yes, beautiful spring yard days will be completely altered. And yes, I am sure the beeps and the bulldozers will be crashing and roaring all throughout the day now that our campus is being torn up.

But everyone should keep their chins up. Even though the appearance of our school may be different, the heart and soul will remain intact. It is little moments like these that make me realize that even though I will be graduating my high school with the beautiful campus in shambles, STA will always be the quirky place I will forever call my home.