I Challenge You: Week Nineteen Challenge

Glue, Play-Doh, ‘goop’, chalk and grape juice.  These were all stains I found on my pants after a week of playing with three and four year olds at Operation Breakthrough.  Despite the low point of a little girl threatening me with scissors, my service week was very rewarding.  I felt that I was really making a difference in these kids’ life simply by spending time with them.  My experience made me look forward to volunteering again in the summer.

Although a full week of service is very beneficial, we don’t have to reserve helping others for that time only.  We can get the rewarding feeling that it brings every day of the year.  By smiling in the halls or helping a friend study for a test, you are doing good deeds daily and truly making a difference in people’s lives.

The juniors and seniors just had a week off of school to do service, but another week off is just around the corner.  That’s right SPRING BREAK 2011 is in 6 days!  For many seniors this means Playa, Mexico and other beach getaways.  However, not all of us are so lucky.  Therefore, this week’s challenge is to plan your spring break festivities.

Spring break is fully of opportunities to have fun, but you must plan now to avoid the week flying by without any fun.  I didn’t want to have to use the word ‘staycation’, but I’m afraid it is only fitting.  There are plenty of fun things to do in Kansas City (and surrounding areas) over break.  Here are just a few:

• Princess Diana exhibit at Union Station: ‘Diana: A Celebration’ is a display of the famous princess’ gowns, jewelry, home videos and more.  Tickets run from $15 to $23.50.
  • College Basketball Experience: At the heart of the Power and Light District, this museum is full of hands on activities and basketball artifacts.  What a great way to prepare for March Madness!
  • take a day trip: St. Louis, Columbia, Omaha.  There are so many exciting places to visit that are within a short drive of Kansas City.  Grab a group of friends and hit the road.
  • enjoy the weather: Spring is in the air and that means the weather is great for spending time outdoors.  Plan a picnic, volleyball game, or campout with some friends to relish in the wonderful season.

This planning should keep you motivated through this last week of school before spring break.  The more activities you plan, the more excited you will be for the next week.  So let’s go out this week, get excited for spring break and conquer this challenge!

How did the week 19 challenge go for you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.