Feminism and tie dye activites promote diversity

Friday I went to the ‘ËœWhat is Feminism?’ discussion in Ms. Dolan’s room.

At the beginning of activity one, only six people showed up. We each went around the circle and defined feminism for ourselves, talked about what it is and is not.

Led by senior Clare Odegard, the discussion covered women systematically underestimating themselves, sexuality, body image and men as feminists.

Then when activity two came, several freshmen and sophomores came! Having a diverse age group changed the discussion’s dynamic, and I hope benefited everyone.

I left the discussion feeling a renewed vigor of feminism and wishing we had had more time to talk. So lucky for me and anyone else, Clare is planning on hosting another discussion. The details about it will be announced later.

On a half sheet of paper Clare handed out, she provided some resources for us to continue our exploration of feminism. So here are a few of her suggestions:

Websites:

scarleteen.com

feministing.com

halftheskymovement.org

Magazines:

Bust

Bitch

Books:

Half the Sky – Nicolas Kriscof/ Sheryl WuDunn

Beyond God the Father – Mary Daly

Anything by Micheal Kimmel

Anything by Seal Studies (Men and Feminism, Women and Violence, Women of Color and Feminism)

The Purity Myth – Jessica Valenti

The Body Project – Joan Jacobs Brumberg

Virgin – Hanne Blank

Gender Basics (textbook) – Anne Minas

Philosophers:

Simone de Beauvoir

Luce Iragaray

Mary Daly

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

bell hooks

Mary Wollstonecraft

Then today I went to the Unitown fundraiser tie dye project in Ms. Blake’s room. A few girls came and tie dyed shirts, so I think a lot of people just forgot to bring money for it.

Lucky for all you that did forget but still want to tie dye, because there will be another tie dye fundraising event March 9.

So mark your planners and bring a white cotton t-shirt, headband, sweatshirt, pair of socks, pair of underwear, or whatever else you want to tie dye.

It’ll cost two dollars to cover the dye expenses and benefit Unitown in the spring.

You can tie dye your shirt and have ready for spring break the following week. So come do it. Please.

(Yes, I know I’m a terrible sales person.)