For your entertainment: learn something new, watch a movie

I often find myself glued to the couch on days like today. It is the second snow day in a row and I feel like I have gotten nothing accomplished. Okay, so if you’re not in the mood on catching up on your homework, I have a brilliant new idea where you can still be as lazy as you like.

Yesterday, as I lounge in my basement and watch the snow fall, I felt as if my brain was going to turn to mush if I watched one more episode of ‘The Real Housewives of New York City.’ I realized that I spend hours of my time each week in front of the television. But the only time I ever get a chance to sit down and watch a good movie is over Christmas Break or Summer Vacation.

So I decided to take this gift that mother nature has given me and enjoy a nice feature film. For the first time in months, I sat down with my parents and watched a movie. Although ‘Inception’ was not my favorite, I felt a little less worthless watching a movie that challenged me intellectually.

Sounds silly, I know, but I believe that watching a great movie can really help you learn something. Maybe you learn a little history lesson like from watching The Patriot or something that has helped you think about the world a little differently like ‘Pay it Forward.’ Even if you only get the smallest amount of knowledge from watching that one movie, it is a breath of fresh air compared to the routine reality television show that you love so much.

So sit down on this snow day and watch a movie. Spend the time to watch a film that you know will make you laugh or just make you think. I mean, if we’re not it school, at least we can still be learning, right?

Having trouble deciding what movie to watch? Check out Allison Fitts’s week fourteen blog about the recent Oscar nominated movies. Thank you Allison because I am about to watch a best picture nominee for the second day in a row. ‘The Social Network’ was just released from Time Warner Cable on movies on demand, score. Now I am about to go learn about something new, the creation of the world of Facebook that I love so much. Oh the vicious circle of entertainment…