Mind, Body, Soul

Mind

According to a 2006 Kaiser Family Foundation Study, 81% of teenagers using a computer to do homework are guilty of ‘media multitasking.’ However, this multi-tasking can be rather unsuccessful. In order to avoid such distractions while doing homework, make an hour by hour schedule for your night. By making a plan, you can decide where your mental energy is focused instead of allowing it to be dispersed randomly. Prioritize your homework, and list tasks in small, workable amounts. Only include what can be realistically accomplished so you don’t overwhelm yourself. If you have trouble staying off Facebook, factor that time into your plan. By doing so, you will be more conscious of the amount of time you spend on Facebook and will want to get off in order to follow your plan.

Body

Eat breakfast. Whether its your mom or your doctor, you’ve heard this at one point. And even though you may wake up late and are always rushing to get to school on time, try to sit down for a good, big, breakfast. No donuts or poptarts, but something high in nutrients and vitamins, such as grapefruit or eggs. According to webmd.com, women who ate 2 eggs for breakfast 5 times a week lost 65% more weight than women who ate bagels. In addition to weight management and higher metabolism, breakfast allows for improved concentration and performance in the classroom, more strength and endurance to engage in physical activity, lower cholesterol and reduced hunger. Afterall, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.

Soul

Believe it or not, laughter is a form of exercise. It lowers your blood pressure and stress levels, while venting emotion and relieving physical muscle tension for up to 45 minutes. Humor can lighten burdens, inspire hope, connect you to others, accept the inevitable and keep you grounded, focused, and alert. Because laughter triggers the release of endorphins, it promotes an overall sense of well-being. According to personal-development.com, the average adult laughs only 17 times a day, while the average kindergartener laughs 300 times a day. Don’t allow your busy, adult schedules to keep you from watching a funny TV show, sharing a joke or planning a game night with friends.