STA’s “My Strange Addiction”

story by Sabrina Redlingshafer, photos by Anna Leach

[nggallery id=828]

freshman Grace Scholegel

Scholegel“I like to pick peoples dandruff sometimes. It started when I was playing with my mom’s hair, like a year ago, and I just saw it and started to pick at it and it was just entertaining. I just do it for fun. My friends think it’s gross, but some of my friends like when I do it. They say it feels good and like to joke about it a lot.”

freshman Grace Burke

Burke“When I first tried drinking milk with fruit snacks in the bottom was actually a ‘do it for the vine’ episode. My sister Emily, her friend Reycia, and I were staying up late on a Saturday night. She suggested we make a funny vine. When I poured a glass of milk, Emily told me to put a random food in the milk and to drink it for the vine. Being up for a challenge, I poured my package of Welch’s fruit snacks into the milk. Reycia started singing the tune, ‘Do it for the vine vine vine,’ and in seconds I downed the milk and fruit snacks. My sister asked me how it tasted and was shocked when I said, ‘Really good.’

I first tried the tater tots and Hershey’s chocolate on a dare given to me by my brother]. I tried it and I thought it tasted really good. Seeing my reaction, he then tried and also thought it was good. I have only eaten tater tots and Hershey’s chocolate twice. I honestly don’t know why I think these too foods are good together.

The first time I ever tried peanut butter and quesadillas was simply because we had absolutely no food in my kitchen. My brother Jake had just about ten friends over. One of his friends Sage told me to try it. I was up for trying something new. I was very surprised to find that this combination tasted really good. The only people who knew about this strange food habit was Sage, me, and Jake. I probably eat quesadillas and peanut butter once every two months. Out of all of these strange food combination I like peanut butter with quesadillas best.”

sophomore Maggie Hodes

Hodes

“Ever since I was little, I have spent most of my summer in Alabama and I’m the kid who always refuses to wear sunscreen, so I would get fried and eventually peel. And I always hated it, so I would just peel it off because it looks gross and kind of freaks me out. Like dead skin hanging off your bo

dy, why not peel it off? So after spring break this year, [sophomore] Darby Pederson was peeling it and she sits by me in Ms. Lopez’s class. Her skin was literally hanging off her leg so I pulled it off and she like freaked out and was like, ‘What are you doing!’ laughing, but concerned. So then it was kind of like a joke and she told everyone in [social studies teacher Denise Rueschoff’s] room and apparently that’s really weird. Basically everyone thinks it’s really weird, but I think it’s weird to have your skin hanging off our body.. So yeah, if anyone needs their skin peeled, hit me up.”

sophomore Hannah Wells 

Wells“I like the smell of concrete and rocks because they both feel cold, but I don’t really know what it is about the smell. I think it brings like memories into my head. This started in middle school. I feel like it was seventh grade. Honestly, the type doesn’t matter. It’’s weird because usually you can only get in a whiff of the smell before it goes away. It’s not a scent that you can describe.Usually, the response [to his habit] is, ‘What the heck are you doing?’ or ‘Hmwellsey you’re a strange girl’, but I’m used to it. I don’t do this on a daily basis, but I’d say I get to smell it once a week. I have laid on a concrete sidewalk a few times on purpose just to smell it. I’m a weirdo. My storage room, like many others, is composed of concrete, so that’s one of my favorite smells in my house. Now that I’m saying this, I feel more concerned about myself.”

senior Rachel Smith 

Smith“I am addicted to Burts Bees regular flavored chapstick. I probably get more excited about new chapstick than I do about new clothes. I’m not sure [why I like Burt’s Bees brand so much], it’s the only kind that makes me my lips feel better. Even the other flavors of Burts Bees don’t work for me. They all just make my lips more dry and then I feel uncomfortable. It depends on the time of year, but in the winter I probably apply it at least once every hour. When it’s warmer, maybe like four or five times a day. I ALWAYS have at least one, but most of the time I have two or three extra ones in my backpack or purse. I’m always paranoid that I’ll lose one so I keep a bunch on me. I also have a drawer in my room where I keep some extra ones.”

senior Katherine Becker 

Becker“Soft, round, and small,” senior Katherine Becker describes her perfect piece of ice. “All ice tastes different. I think it’s even fair to judge a restaurant by its ice. The best ice is ice with a low density. The softer it is, the nicer it is to chew. Snow cone ice is great. I would describe ice chewing to other people as a satisfying, delicious crunching. I crave it. If I don’t get it, I need it. I like to chew on ice because I think ice is tastier than water. Every morning and evening, as well as sometimes after school, I fill up my water bottle with the dome-shaped ice cubes from our home ice machine until I can squish no more inside, then I fill it the rest of the way with water. Next, I shake the water bottle a bit to loosen the ice cubes to keep them from sticking together, and then let it sit for a couple hours, with the occasional shaking around to keep the ice loose. The result is a smaller cube with lots of air bubbles, making the cubes softer and more fun to chew.”