Across the Generations

Over the decades, cross country has become an important aspect of St. Teresa’s tradition and students’ experiences.

St. Teresa’s Academy is a community full of many long-standing traditions, including the cross country program. Head coach Karen Moran Redlich has been coaching the program for 25 years. However, she was an athlete under coach Mike Egner throughout her school career at St. Teresa’s.

“My four years running cross country at STA were the most important aspect of my high school years,” Moran Redlich said. “I have very fond memories of being a part of the team.”

These fond memories are not the only thing athletes gained during Moran Redlich’s time on the team.

“Our team won two state championships,” Moran Redlich said. “I got to be a part of one of them when I was a junior.”

Moran Redlich and Egner both reflect on her time on the team. Egner is now the assistant coach of the program, and he speaks fondly of all his years coaching.

“She (Moran Redlich) was one of my runners when I coached varsity,” Egner said. “She was one of the state championship runners, so a lot of the things she does in practice and the things she believes in are the same things I used to do in practice and believe in too.”

Egner’s values and traditions have helped build up the cross country program since the beginning.

“I started the program at St. Teresa’s in 1989,” Egner said. ” It was the first cross country program the school has ever had.”

Not only has Egner helped the program flourish, he helps the athletes shine as well. One of the ways he does this is by encouraging them to always stay optimistic.

“The sport can be very tough and demanding,” Egner said. “You always have to remain positive, do your best and remember you’re part of a team.”

Sophomore Maddie Dwyer thinks having great coaches is extremely beneficial to the sport.

“Cross country has made it easy to build relationships with amazing coaches,” Dwyer said.

Dwyer started running for St. Teresa’s at the beginning of her freshman year and she could not recommend it more to other students.

“Cross country has given me a chance to meet people I probably would not have otherwise,” Dwyer said. “I love the sport because it is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and have fun.”

Moran Redlich echoes Dwyer’s sentiments.

“It sounds very challenging and daunting, but we would not have 40-50 runners on our team every year if we did not make it fun,” Moran Redlich said.

Cross country is more than a sport at St. Teresa’s: it is a community.