Does STA Offer Safe Spaces For a Diverse Student Body?

The Dart staff unanimously agrees that STA does offer safe spaces for a diverse student body.

by Caroline Hinkebein, Features Editor

Poppy Difranco – senior

Yes! I think STA does a great job at creating safe spaces. They offer many diverse clubs, extracurriculars, and classes to cater to everyone.

LaNya Connor – freshman

Yes, St. Teresa’s is a good place for diverse students. There are diverse students here and this is a great place for everyone and we love each other.

STAFF

STA’s Diversity & Inclusion Statement, created during the 2018-19 school year, states that diversity has been a key component of the school since its founding in 1866: “STA values and embraces a racially, culturally, ethnically, geographically, and economically diverse student body and school community.” An important component of embracing a diverse student body is offering safe spaces for those diverse students on campus. 

The Dart staff unanimously agrees that STA does offer safe spaces for a diverse student body. STA offers these safe spaces in many different ways, a notable one being their three affinity groups offering safe spaces for Asian, Hispanic, and Black students. STA also has diverse teachers that students of all backgrounds feel comfortable talking to, which is another way STA offers safe spaces outside of official organizations. 

When it comes to safe spaces for the LGBTQ+ population at STA, the school is in a unique position because it is bound by the Catholic Church and its doctrine. The GSA (Gender Sexuality Alliance) is an active group on campus and the STA community discusses LGBTQ+ issues and focuses on educating one another: positive signs that show STA is a conscious community. 

STA also tries to incorporate diversity into its curriculum through books, class discussions and more – important steps so that our educational methodologies continue to evolve and reflect the dynamic, changing world in which we live.  Progress isn’t perfect and there is always room for improvement. STA might not yet be as diverse as it wants to be, but it is clear that the institution is proud of its students and wants to make their experience the best it can be. No solution is an easy fix and everything comes with time and the mindset of people to trust in the process. Diversity and inclusion aren’t exclusively STA issues; they are societal issues that need everyone’s help to truly become resolved.