Student body attends private screening of “The Hate U Give”

Students sat with their advisories to watch the movie adaptation of Angie Thomas' novel, "The Hate U Give," Wednesday, Nov. 14, as an experiential learning opportunity.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A screen at the AMC Ward Parkway 14 displays the title

A screen at the AMC Ward Parkway 14 displays the title "The Hate U Give." Students filled eight auditoriums at the AMC Ward Parkway Theater Wednesday, Nov. 14. photo courtesy of Lindsey Blaich

by Gabby Staker, Editor-in-chief

Classes were not in session Nov. 14, as students, faculty and staff visited AMC Ward Parkway Theater to watch “The Hate U Give.” Directed by George Tillman Jr. and starring Amandla Stenberg, the movie follows the life of Starr Carter, a black 16 year old girl who witnesses the shooting of her childhood friend by a police officer. It is the story of Starr’s life and her journey to becoming an advocate.

The private screening was an experiential learning opportunity, similar to the screening of “Hidden Figures” which students attended in 2017.

An email sent with information to students and parents read, “”The Hate U Give” provides us the opportunity to participate in vital discussions about empathy, understanding, and tolerance.”

Junior Liv Richardson had not seen the movie before, but had high expectations after hearing others’ opinions.

“I expected some discomfort from our school, being predominantly Caucasian, and it was kind of awkward, not for me, but I could see a lot of people being uncomfortable… everybody’s uncomfortable, and this is just life for us,” Richardson said.

Starr Carter lives in the predominantly black neighborhood of Garden Heights and goes to Williamson Prep, a predominantly white school.

“That’s life, for real, though,” sophomore Micah Quinn said. “I thought it was funny when they talked about the school that they didn’t go to versus the other school. Because I drive by the school that I would have been going to for high school all the time and I actually went there in middle school. My mom was like, ‘You can’t do this anymore.’… I went to an all-black public school and then came to an all-white private school, and it’s like ‘If you’re too in with the white folk, then you’re white to the black folk, and if you’re too in with the black folk, then you’re ghetto to the white folk.’ It’s hard to find equilibrium.”

“Everybody comes [to STA] so you can get your education and move up,” Richardson said. “My mom went to STA, grew up poor, moved up and now she’s a doctor. Move up some more. That’s what you’ve got to do.”

Students had the chance to discuss their experience and reaction to the movie during advisory and activity Thursday, Nov. 15.

About the Writer
Gabby Staker, Editor-in-Chief

Hi! I’m Gabby Staker, a senior writing and page designing through my third year on the Dart. It’s crazy! And this time, Julia, Margaux and I are co-editors-in-chief!!...