Goodbye Rockhurst, Hello STA

This year, St. Teresa’s has welcomed a multitude of new teachers into the adored staff. Featured are four new teachers who hail from Rockhurst High School.

Ani+Haroian+

Ani Haroian

by Lily Sage, Opinion Editor

Ani Haroian 

Classes at STA: I teach four sections of Spanish Ⅰ and one section of Spanish Ⅳ. 

Decision to come to STA: This was an opportunity that kind of fell into my lap. I was just looking on the website and I saw that there were a couple of openings for Spanish instructors. So I just thought I might apply and just kind of see what St. Teresa’s is about. I had the interview the next day, and I was really impressed with all of the administrators and teachers that I spoke to at the interview. And they seem to be able to provide me with some of the things that I was more interested in, like professional development, and just more observation in the classroom. 

What STA students should know about you: I’m not a native speaker of Spanish and I had to learn Spanish just like you’re learning in your language class, and so it can be done. I love to travel; I’ve studied in several different countries — that’s very special and important to me.

Nicole Smith 

Classes at STA: I am teaching personal finance face to face and online, entrepreneurship and next semester I’ll also add digital marketing. 

Decision to come to STA: It’s a great opportunity to work with Dr. May-Washington, as an African-American female in education. Also, I thought that it’d be nice to work with the same gender, and at Rockhurst, I definitely had a purpose of being a woman of color. But hopefully the girls [will] better identify with me, and I’ll be a good example to them. I feel like I have opportunities to grow here that didn’t seem to be available to me at Rockhurst.

What STA students should know about you: I love traveling. I love live music concerts. My students already know that I nicknamed myself Mrs. Frizzle — I am all over the place. I love my boys  — my three sons mean the world to me. 

Jorge Taracido

Classes at STA:  I teach [College] Spanish Ⅳ, [Spanish Practicum] and Spanish Ⅴ.

Decision to come to STA:  I retired from Rockhurst after a personal loss; my daughter passed away and I was at retirement age, and I just needed to regroup spiritually. I think I always regretted not remaining in education, so when the STA job came up, I thought that [it] would be nice to teach there.

What STA students should know about you: That I kind of expect a lot from them. I also want them to know that I am a supporter of the sports, big time, because I was [a] cross country coach at Rockhurst for 33 years. 

Matt Hicks

Classes at STA: I teach English Ⅰ and World Literature.  

Decision to come to STA: I was looking for a change, looking for more collaboration and just kind of different ideas [along with] a refresh. 

What STA students should know about you: I want them to know that I care. I think if you start with a foundation of love and care of what the mission of the school is all about,  you can do transformative things.