Sophomores learn about MOCSA and Sexual Assault

The sexual assault prevention and education center, MOCSA, came to visit the school’s sophomores and teach them about sexual assault and rape.

The+Metropolitan+Organization+to+Counter+Sexual+Assault+aims+to+help+sexual+assault+survivors+and+educate+people+about+consent+and+sexual+assault.+photo+courtesy+of+MOCSA+

The Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault aims to help sexual assault survivors and educate people about consent and sexual assault. photo courtesy of MOCSA

by Kailee Ford, Writer

MOCSA, the Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault, came to the school and talked to the sophomores about consent and sexual assault March 29. The students went into groups to discuss consent and the importance of being aware of sexual assault.

Sophomore Kylie Schuster said that although the talks were basic, they were also necessary on the topics of sexual assault and consent, especially with high school girls.

“I think it’s important for programs like MOCSA to visit teenage girls,” Schuster said. “[This is] sadly important because sexual assault is prevalent in their lives.”

The students also went to watch a short film about the rape of a famous Israeli model named Linor. The film tells her story and how she has dealt with the trauma while spreading the message of countering sexual assault.

MOCSA is one of the many organizations to counter sexual assault and educate students on the importance of consent. MOCSA is also a hotline for sexual assault survivors to reach out to.

“MOCSA does a great job of opening up conversations about sexual assault,” Schuster said. “They also let girls know that their schools are safe places for dialogue about this isssue.”