Catholic Schools Week makes a comeback

The school joined Catholic schools across the nation for the annual event.

Sophomore Carley Donnelly performs during the pep rally Feb. 2. Donnelly is a member of the varsity dance team. photo by Riley McNett

by Margaux Renee and Riley McNett

The school came together last week to celebrate Catholic Schools Week with daily planned activities and a week-long drive for the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Campus ministry sponsored the activities including a screening of “Mulan” in the auditorium Monday, an opportunity to have coffee and chat about spirituality in the campus ministry office Tuesday, a chance to play board games and watch “Veggie Tales” in Windmoor Thursday and bingo in the library Friday afternoon.

This was in addition to an optional early morning mass at Visitation Church Tuesday, all school Mass with Father Thomas Wednesday and the winter sports pep rally Friday.

Director of Campus Ministry and Service Andrea Essner has been working with students to plan the week since winter break.

“As campus minister, I thought this was a great opportunity to bring our community together,” Essner said. 

Freshman Adie Zahner talks with fellow students in the campus ministry room Jan. 30. Students were invited on Tuesday to talk with Clare Stern from Kansas City InterFaith Youth Alliance. photo by Riley McNett

Essner decided to reinvigorate the week with fun activities after talking with students that had fond memories of Catholic Schools Week in grade school.

“I think I came up with the skeleton of ideas and then filled in the details with student ideas,” Essner said.

A drive for the Little Sisters of the Poor, a home for low-income seniors in Kansas City, was also conducted throughout the week. Students were encouraged to bring different toiletries according to their grade level. The freshman class brought the most items earning them a yard day April 30. All together, the student body brought in 625 items to donate to the Little Sisters.

Essner hopes to continue celebrating Catholic Schools Week in future years.

“I give you guys a starting point and now girls can take it and run with it from here,'” Essner said.