Unleashed Pet Rescue visits Fun Friday’s

Unleashed Pet Rescue and Adoption visited Fun Friday’s to talk about their volunteering dynamics.

Students pet a puppy from Unleashed Pet Rescue and Adoption. photo by Katy Rouse

by Katy Rouse, Writer

Unleashed Pet Rescue and Adoption visited in the library for Fun Friday’s Oct. 6. Any grade could attend during free periods 6-9. Students were encouraged to bring paper towels, bleach and other supplies that animal shelters use daily.

The mission of a volunteer at Unleashed is to provide the shelter resources and the necessary support to build relationships between people and pets.

“When people volunteer to help with Unleashed, they go through an hour training class,” Unleashed representative Mary Lehman said.”That’s on Monday night at 7 o’clock. We provide them with information at that time about all aspects of fostering.”

According to Lehman, there are many areas for people to get involved at Unleashed.

“We have options of volunteering and what they can do to help at events like this,” Lehman said. “You can help the shelter by either socializing the animals or working at a donation drive. We do a lot of events outside, and we are always needing help with that.”

There are many options to choose from at Unleashed. They have dogs, cats and occasionally a bunny. There is even an option for volunteers to tell the workers specifically what they want, and they will try their best to set the customer up with their perfect match.

“I learned that even if you want a certain breed of dog, it doesn’t really matter because there are dogs in shelters that need homes,” sophomore Annie Kelley said. “It goes along with the concept ‘adopt don’t shop.’”