Statement from editors regarding recent events

Due to recent circumstances, the Dart wishes to remind its readers of certain staff policies and how they affect the Dart's actions moving forward.

by Zoe Butler and Lily Manning

Dear readers,

As most of you probably know through either outside news sources or having heard through members of the community — a group of STA girls participated in an off-campus drinking game almost three weeks ago, where the cups were at one point formed into a swastika and posted on Snapchat. As there has been an increase in actions taken by members both inside and outside St. Teresa’s, we feel it’s important to inform you of the reasons behind what is and isn’t being reported on.

It is because of times like this that the Dart has a list of staff policies to guide our actions. We would like to remind our readers of some specific policies that apply to this situation.

One of the Dart’s basic policies states that “The staff of the Dart is subject to prior review by the STA administrative team (president, principal of academic affairs, principal of student affairs) in circumstances that concern student discipline (SBRs, detentions, suspensions, exclusion from the extracurricular activities)[…] and that concern student safety and illegal behaviors by students[…] If students believe their work on the newspaper approaches any of these standards, they have a duty to approach the advisor immediately to discuss.”

We have had recent discussions with STA president Nan Bone in which she agreed to some level of coverage on this subject. Starting this week, you will begin to see articles posted on DartNewsOnline covering what members of St. Teresa’s are doing to move forward from this incident. For a number of reasons, the students’ identities and consequences given by administration will remain confidential.

Please keep checking back in with DartNewsOnline in the coming week as we work to keep you informed over this subject.

Best regards,

Zoe Butler and Lily Manning

2017-18 Dart and DartNewsOnline Editors-in-Chief

If anyone has questions or concerns regarding the Dart’s coverage over these matters, please contact either Zoe Butler at [email protected] or Lily Manning at [email protected]

About the Writers
Zoe Butler, Editor-in-Chief

Well hello there! Welcome to the profile of Zoe Butler, third-year Dartian and co-editor-in-chief (eek!). I’m honestly a little surprised at how far fellow editor-in-chief Lily Manning and I have come since taking journalism rather than the popular choice of acting as our freshman year elective. Our shared love for Robert Redford in All the President’s Men has developed into something so much more, and I will forever be indebted to what I have learned through this paper and this staff. Anyway, enough with the sappy stuff, here’s some more about me: If I’m not cracking my knuckles, my back or my neck, then I have probably moved on to cracking up at my wonderful friends and the many wonderful memes and memz we have shared. I’m a Taurus, which my mother finds a little too fitting (stubbornness and all…), and I am always itching to dance. I aspire to live my life similar to my #MCM long before Robert Redford was in the picture, Ferris Bueller. So, ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to dedicate the Dart and DartNewsOnline to the person “who doesn’t think [they’ve] seen anything good today…this one’s for you.”

Lily Manning, Editor-in-Chief

Helloooo! My name is Lily Manning and this year marks my third and final year being a part of the wonderful Dart family. This year I am co-Editor-in-Chief, a stressful yet rewarding title that I am so proud to hold. I’m so very excited to bring all you lovely readers this year’s Dart. Zoe and I have dreamed of holding this position since all the way back in freshman year’s journalism class, and we are so proud of our staff this year and the content we will bring you all. When I’m not in the publication room slaving away for the Dart, I’m probably in bed watching Netflix (my favorite shows are “The Office” and “Friday Night Lights”). Any other free time that isn’t taken up by newspaper or Netflix, I spend stressing about the daunting college application process, listening to music (follow me on Spotify @lilymmanning, I like to think I have decent taste in music) or reading a book (for fun, even though it’s dorky). I hope all of you fantastic people reading this grow to love the Dart as much as I do, #godartians!

1 Comment

One Response to “Statement from editors regarding recent events”

1. Linden O'Brien-Williams on September 28th, 2017 7:15 pm

So proud of you both for fighting to publish. Editor-in-chiefdom ain’t easy — keep up the great work. Yaaaay free speech!

• Statement from editors regarding recent events

breaking news

Junior class watches Becoming Martin

breaking news

Freshman class attends retreat

breaking news

Service fair held Sept. 28

breaking news

Faculty takes on “Parks and Rec.” for 2018 Auction Skit

breaking news

Chick-fil-A sandwiches sold for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital

breaking news

STA students compete in debate tournament at Rockhurst

breaking news

Clubs organize second-annual spirit week

breaking news

Cultural dances performed for Hispanic Heritage Month

breaking news

Annual college fair held at Rockhurst

breaking news

Students get excited for fall sports at the pep rally