We have chemistry: A love letter to my class

I never thought I was going to like this class as much as I do. It has been an incredible opportunity to mix things up and meet new people.

by Claire Molloy, Lifestyles Editor

Dear Rietbrock section 4 Honors Chemistry class,

I am just going to come right out and say it. I love you guys. I honestly do. I’ll admit that at first I was kind of nervous to be in a class of sophomores because I didn’t know too many of you. But it has honestly been one of the best experiences I have had at STA yet. I can always count on you to make me laugh, and I am so happy that I have all of you in my life.

Like I said before, at the beginning of the year, I was unsure about how I would do in a class comprised mostly of sophomores. I thought it would be weird to be in a class with a different grade, especially a younger one. I thought I would never be able to really talk to you guys about anything other than school stuff because I wouldn’t really know who you were talking about (this part really worried me because I have always been a big talker). But boy, was I wrong.

You guys were all so nice, funny and welcoming. I have always felt comfortable telling you guys things and joking around with you. And I truly love all of the strange, yet funny, stories you guys tell. There is usually something about Liv Davison’s family and a story about how Julia Kerrigan was a really smart kid. Those, along with Julia bringing up my 7th grade Instagram account (it’s still out there by the way) and her love of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, make up a good chunk of conversation in that class.

I love my class, but the room it another story. The thing about Rietbrock’s room is that it’s always way too hot. I’d like to thank the other girls in my class for never judging my when I whip out my fold up giraffe fan I got from the zoo. But the best part isn’t that they are accepting, but they embrace it. Liv has asked to use it on many occasions.

I realize that I have made it seem like this class is a social hour, but it’s not, I promise. We talk about chemistry all the time, but we also don’t like to restrict ourselves to just this one area of science. We always talk about the newest discoveries of planets, continents (the one under New Zealand) and colors (the blackest black ever). But the best part of this is that Mrs. Rietbrock allows us to do so – to a point of course – and she never gets mad when we get a little off topic. And as much as I do love the people who make up my class, we would be nowhere if it weren’t for Mrs. Rietbrock being so open to discussion and excited to learn things herself.

If you aren’t in my class, you probably don’t care about this letter, and if you are, you already know this stuff. But I do want to make one suggestion to anyone who read this. If you want to do something, anything, but are nervous about it, give it a go. You never know what might come of it. For example, I met some of my favorite people in the school by taking a class I wouldn’t have if I listened to my doubt.

Love,

Claire