Netflix adds download feature for offline viewing

Netflix users can now watch pre-downloaded content without an internet connection.

Netflix’s menu on mobile devices now displays the categories “Available to Download,” listing the select TV shows and movies that are available for offline viewing, and “My Downloads,” which shows the content downloaded by the user. photo by Madi Winfield

by Madi Winfield, Managing Editor of Web

An update to Netflix was released Wednesday night enabling users to watch certain movies and television shows on mobile devices without connecting to the internet. This content must be downloaded beforehand, but the only limit to the amount of content the user can download is the storage of your device. This content will “expire” 48 hours after offline viewing begins; once this happens, the user will have to re-download the content to continue watching without internet.

“I was not aware of it until five seconds ago, but I think it’s pretty snazzy,” senior Mary Kate Randolph said. “I just need to figure out how to do it.”

“It takes up so much data to use Netflix if you don’t have the internet,” senior Yesenia Eichholz added. “If you can download it without needing the internet, then that’s so great.”

“Also, my dad won’t yell at me about data usage,” Randolph joked.

This new feature comes at no extra cost to subscribers. However, Netflix is not the first streaming service to include a download option. Amazon Prime Video has allowed users to download select content to mobile devices since September 2015. However, Netflix has over double the subscribers as Prime Video.

According to a survey conducted by the Dart of 192 students, 93.8 percent of STA students use Netflix, and 257 percent more STA students use Netflix than Prime Video. Many of these students are excited about this new change.

“I’m thrilled,” junior Kate Loman said after learning of the update. “I’m ecstatic. Oh my god, that’s great!”

“That’s a really good idea,” sophomore Shannon Flynn agreed. “It probably helps with their business.”

The update holds a lot of potential for viewing opportunities, including travel.

“So when you’re on a plane and you put it on airplane mode, you can still watch Netflix,” sophomore Hannah Bland said.

“Dude, yes.” Loman exclaimed. “I’m pumped. I know what I’m doing over Christmas break.”

Students will also be able to watch downloaded content on their phones while at school. This somewhat negates the purpose of Lightspeed, the blocking software pre-installed on students’ computers.

Principal of student affairs Liz Baker sees this being a potential problem if used improperly. Watching during a class, she said, would be an issue, but watching during free periods wouldn’t be as bad.

“We’re trying to teach you good use of your time as college preparatory students,” Baker said. “Is it true that college kids probably watch TV or movies during their downtime? Probably so. So I’d really have to think about that.. because it would be very hard to monitor.”