I’m with the praise band

Inspired by this school year’s theme, “the art of possibility,” STA’s campus ministry department recently created a praise band to explore the possibilities of presenting music at Mass and help the STA community pray through song. According to campus ministry director Joe LaScala, the praise band opens a new door to worship at STA. The band, started by LaScala and music teacher Michelle McIntire, is comprised of a small group of students from all grade levels that meet twice a week during activity periods to prepare for upcoming campus ministry events.

“Our goal is to create a different atmosphere through the music played at Mass,” LaScala said. “We’re trying to turn traditional music into more youthful, energy filled stuff.”

As a result, the band hopes to increase participation from the rest of the student body during times of worship, according to LaScala.

“We are hoping that the variation in the music will encourage [students] to sing and grow closer to God through song,” LaScala said.

You’ve already seen them perform. Now, get to know the girls behind the instruments. STA, meet the praise band.

Katie Wiedeman, freshman

Role: Singer

Favorite church song: “On Eagles Wings”

Goals: help STA students become more involved in the music at Mass; become a better singer; find a permanent place in the STA community

Why she joined: “I could see that everyone [at STA] had so much fun and I felt like [joining praise band] would be a great way to become a part of that great STA spirit.”

The best part: “Getting to meet new girls and enjoying what you are doing, or seeing that everyone looks to you for leadership during Mass and compliments you afterward.”

Brianna Valine, freshman

Instrument: electric guitar

Favorite church song: “Trading My Sorrows (Yes, Lord)”

Goals: make Mass at STA more interesting, add a new dynamic to traditional music

Why she joined: “[Praise band] is a fun way to play music and meet other girls who enjoy [playing] too.”

Challenges: “Because we practice two to three times a week during both lunch and activity periods, I miss out on time with my friends. But through praise band I am making new ones.”

The best part: “I get to play music for God.”

Kate Sanders, sophomore

Role: Singer

Favorite church song: “Only the World”

Goals: to send God’s word to the STA community through music and song

Why she joined: “I love to sing and I love God. I’ve done worship singing before and it fills me with joy knowing that I’m singing to a God who cares about me.”

Advice to non-members: “The songs have such a powerful message and the students are great. if you aren’t sure whether or not you should join, give [praise band] a chance and just try out.”

Mackenzie Jones, junior

Instrument: violin

Favorite church song: “My God is an Awesome God”

Goals: encourage more participation in Mass, make singing at Mass “cool” again.

Advice to non-members: “We encourage everyone to join in on the singing, but we are not going to run up and down the aisles making people dance and sing. It’s up to [you] whether or not [you] want to participate, but we hope that [you] do because it will make Mass a more enjoyable experience.”

Colleen McInerney, junior

Instrument: rhythmic acoustic guitar

Favorite church song: anything with hand gestures

Goals: expand the variety of music sung at Mass, mix modern music with traditional styles

The Pros: “To be able to play at Mass and worship God and Jesus at the same time is pretty awesome.”

The Cons: fast chord changes on the guitar, no drummer, not enough practice time

The best part: “[We] have this great opportunity to offer [our] musical gifts and talents up to God, and encourage others to do so, too.”

Ms. Michelle McIntire, music teacher

Instrument: keyboard, tambourine, triangle, etc.

Why she started the band: “I have this belief that in any worship venue, everyone who wants to be apart of the ceremony should have the opportunity. I had this feeling that it was always me and the choir [participating], and never the student body as a congregation.”

Goals: stress music as an act of worship, help congregants come closer to God, offer talents to God

Challenges: “[Remembering that] we aren’t performing; we’re offering. [The idea of praise band] is to act as communication for the community and not a performance.”

The best part: “Empowerment. Empowering girls to play their instrument, lead in worship, and take charge of themselves.”