Swim and dive wins league championship

The Stars won their third consecutive championship Thursday.

Junior Libby Hutchinson, left, hugs senior Darby Pedersen after getting her State cut in the 200 yard freestyle. Hutchinson won the event and Pedersen finished third.

by Mary Hilliard, Editor-in-Chief

The STA Swim and Dive team won first place at the Independent League Championships. They competed in prelims Wednesday and finals Thursday at Central High School.

The medley relay of sophomore Mia Schloegel, freshman Kate Lowe and juniors Molly Winkler and Libby Hutchinson started the meet off with a first place finish.

Hutchinson won the 200 freestyle, followed by senior Darby Pedersen, who got third. Junior Gabby Ayala got fourth, and freshman Caroline Stuckey got eleventh. In the 200 I.M., Lowe got fourth, Schloegel got fifth, and junior Claire McCann got sixth. In the 50 free, sophomore Maddie Adam got second, and freshman Ada Blasdel got sixth. In the 100 butterfly, Winkler got second, McCann got third, freshman Evelyn Moser got fourth, and Blasdel got eighth. In the 100 free, Hutchinson got second, Adam got fourth, and junior Bailey Briscoe got eighth.

The Stars swept the 500 free, led by Pedersen, and followed by senior Mary Hilliard in second and Ayala in third. The 200 free relay of Adam, Blasdel, Winkler, and Pedersen got second.

Schloegel won the 100 backstroke, while Briscoe got fourth, Stuckey got sixth, and freshman Molly Cowan finished in thirteenth. In the 100 breastroke, Lowe finished fourth, Hilliard in fifth, and Moser got eighth.

The 400 free relay of Hutchinson, Pedersen, Adam, and Winklet finished in second place, .07 seconds behind the Notre Dame de Sion relay team.

photos by Mary Hilliard

[nggallery id=”1191″]

The Stars will compete next week at the Missouri State Championship meet in St. Peters.