2015-16 News Feed Compilation: Issue 5

Current events from around the world, country, state and city.

TNS

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks to supporters at Nashua Community College in Nashua, N.H. Feb. 2 after she was officially declared the winner of the Iowa caucus. photo courtesy of MCT Campus

by Madi Winfield, Web Editor of Scheduling

In the world

A section of the Wailing Wall, a sacred Jewish prayer site located in Israel, will be open for men and women to pray together. This site has existed as an informal prayer space since 2000, but the Jan. 31 decision from the Israeli Cabinet has made this into a permanent location. Construction will take between 12 and 18 months to complete.

In the U.S.

The Iowa caucuses were held Monday. Sen. Ted Cruz won the GOP caucuses with 27.6% of the vote, compared to Donald Trump’s 24.3% and Sen. Marco Rubio’s 23.1%. Hillary Clinton won the Democratic caucus with 49.9% of the vote, while Sen. Bernie Sanders earned 49.6%. Democratic candidate Martin O’Malley and Republican candidate Mike Huckabee suspended their campaigns Monday following low caucus numbers.

In Missouri

The Walter Cronkite New Voices Act, a bill currently in the Missouri House, would protect student journalists in public schools against administrative censorship. The bill, sponsored by Springfield representative Elijah Haahr, received testimony from Tim Tai, a University of Missouri journalism student who was barred from photographing Mizzou’s #ConcernedStudent1950 protests in November, as well as nine other witnesses. If the bill passes, the only causes for censorship would be if content was libelous, illegal or an invasion of privacy. This would reverse the landmark 1988 Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier case, which declared that public schools have the right to censor stories with content deemed “unsavory.”

In Kansas City

Thousands of fans attended the Kansas City Royals’ annual FanFest Friday and Saturday at Bartle Hall. Events included reviews of the historic 2015 season from various players, coaches and managers; a themed version of the game show Family Feud featuring Royals players as contestants; and multiple giveaways.