Committee hosts mandatory panel to discuss cultural appropriation

The Cultural Diversity Committee held a panel to discuss the difference between appropriation and appreciation Dec. 10.

Father Sunoj Thomas left, senior Audrey Carroll, senior Victoria Richardson, St. Paul’s Episcopal Day School diversity consultant Michelle Johnson, sophomore Sarah Mendez and Spanish teacher Marina Lopez participate in a panel on appropriation vs. appreciation. photo by Claire Molloy

by Claire Molloy, Staff Writer

The Cultural Diversity Committee held a mandatory panel titled “Appropriation vs. Appreciation” during lunch and activity Dec. 10. This panel was comprised of Spanish teacher Marina Lopez, sophomore Sarah Mendez, St. Paul’s Episcopal Day School diversity consultant Michelle Johnson, senior Victoria Richardson, senior Audrey Carroll and St. Thomas More priest Father Sunoj Thomas.

During the week leading up to the panel, the Cultural Diversity Committee asked students to send in questions via Twitter, texting and email. Some topics included politics, themed parties and diversity within STA. According to Lopez, many costumes that attempt to depict a culture misrepresent that culture and “ignore their humanity.” Others on the panel said that it was harmful to base one’s knowledge of a culture on stereotypes. Lopez called this the “luxury of ignorance”.

Toward the end of the discussion, questions from the audience were also encouraged. One student introduced the topic of white privilege and it was discussed heavily. Carroll said white privilege should be used to bring awareness, not to make people feel guilty. According to Johnson, everyone has privilege, which is anything that “you don’t have to think about.”

“If you own your privilege, you can help people without that privilege,” Lopez said.