It’s a Mad, Mad, Madi World: A Long Ride to the Rooftop

It’s a long ride to the rooftop – but the view sure is great.

by Madi Winfield, Daily Web Editor

7:46 p.m.: We walk down a brightly lit hallway. Hotel rooms surround us on either side.

“Do you know where to go?” my cousin Mary Catherine asks me.

“I think so…” I respond. Last year, I had come early with the guest of honor, so I’m not quite sure how close we are to the – the lobby! Here we are!

“Now where?”

“The elevator. Come on, I hear voices.”

And sure enough, there’s a group of at least 20 people waiting impatiently to ride to the rooftop and join the party.

Freshmen Kelly Blickhan, Kate Willnauer, Megan Hutchison, Sloane Smith and Annie Mullen smile while riding the elevator to sophomore Mackenzie O’Guin’s party Oct. 25. photo by Madi Winfield

7:51 p.m.: When we finally make it to the top floor, the party has just begun.

St. Teresa’s sophomore Emma Gustavson and Rockhurst sophomore Paul Hathaway dance at sophomore Mackenzie O’Guin’s birthday party Oct. 25. The two friends have a choreographed dance to Come on Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners, which they performed at the party. photo by Madi Winfield

I glance around for Mackenzie. She’s probably busy, I think. I mean, it is her 15th birthday party.

I marvel at the gorgeous decor, then dash to the food room. What do they have this year? Last year there was fondue, and chicken, and popcorn, and – WHAT IS THIS? FRIED MAC & CHEESE?! MAC & CHEESE THAT HAS BEEN FRIED!? I grab four and sit down to stuff my face.

Suddenly, with a flash, I stand up, practically knocking over my chair. My friends are here!

8:14 p.m.: We eat some more, then walk out to the dance floor. Looking back on that night, I see that was my first mistake.

8:16 p.m.: My stomach hurts. Maybe I shouldn’t have had four mac & cheese balls… Too late now, I guess. I suck it up and keep dancing. This is too fun to stop.

8:18 p.m.: My feet hurt. Wearing uncomfortable heels was my second mistake. I toss them into the pile of heels and bags in the corner.

9:03 p.m.: Oh, wait! The Royals game!

“Where’s the Royals game?” I ask.

“Kaffman Stadium?”

I sigh. Deeply.

“No, I mean where are the TVs?”

“The other room.”

There’s another room? I walk across the hall and find a third room. This wasn’t here last year… Ooh, a photo booth! There are so many things at this party; I’m not quite sure what to do next.

9:25 p.m.: It’s a bit of a blur. Eating, dancing, getting exhausted, dancing again… At one point, I’m standing on a folding chair in the photo booth with my theater friends for about 10 minutes while the person running the booth fixes the computer.

11:47 p.m.: The night winds down, and we all head out. As I wait for my ride, I think about tonight. Sure, it was absolutely exhausting, but it was completely worth it. It’s a long ride to the rooftop – but the view sure is great.