2014-15 News Feed Compilation: Issue 1

MCT
by Christina Elias

WORLD: According to the New York Times, most of Russia’s forces have withdrawn from Ukraine. President Petro O. Poroshenko of Ukraine is currently attempting to set in place peace initiatives between the two countries.

THE U.S.: President Barack Obama addressed the U.S. Sept. 10 about the (take out Islamic) extremist group ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria), which has garnered international attention for the videos of members beheading two American journalists. He announced his plans to “degrade and ultimately destroy” the group “through a comprehensive and sustained counterterrorism strategy,” which includes the use of airstrikes and the formation of an inclusive Iraqi government.

MISSOURI: In Berkeley, MO, 35 people were arrested Wednesday during an attempted protest of Michael Brown’s shooting in Ferguson, MO. Most were arrested due to “unlawful assembly,” according to the New York Times, but four were taken into custody for assaulting police officers.

KANSAS CITY: A respiratory virus has hospitalized hundreds of children in Kansas City and is now spreading to other states. Kansas City was the first to alert the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (C.D.C.) of the virus, a rare form of the common cold called Enterovirus D68. Kansas City and Chicago have had the largest number of reports, but cases have now been seen in twelve states. No deaths from the virus have been reported.