Paint job, makeover donated to St. Teresa’s Academy’s gym

The Dart interviewed St. Teresa’s Academy’s Athletic Director Mark Hough about the recent gym renovations.

Why was the gym re-painted?

There were two main things that were re-painted in the gym: the stripe on the wall was painted gold and the ceiling was painted white. It was time for a change and the gym needed to be freshened up. The color scheme of maroon was replaced and the ceiling was falling apart and chipping away. The floor was also refinished. It is usually re-waxed and stained during Christmas Break, but we wanted to change the schedule so it was fresh for the school year.

Whose decision was it?

Once the ceiling painters were here, the Booster Club decided to paint the stripe.

How much did it cost?

The paint job in the gym was donated to the school.

When was it re-painted?

The re-painting was a full summer project.

Who/what company re-painted it? Any tie to STA?

Two companies helped re-paint the gym. Stockey Brand Painting painted the stripe and Pro Window Cleaning Services painted the ceiling. Even though this was a window cleaning service, they had all the equipment to re-do the ceiling. This service had a tie to STA through the Booster Club. Mr. Garvin and Mr. Ramirez put up and rearranged banners and myself and painted anything we could reach.

Are there any other changes being made to the gym this year?

There were multiple things added to the Verheyen Room. The Wall of Champions was placed on the wall outside Verheyen and the swimming and track record boards were posted in the room. Also, the lacrosse team will now have a picture along with all the other pictures of sports in Verheyen. In the gym, the offices were re-painted and new furniture and carpets were added. The weight room will continue to be freshened up with sports pictures of alumns, mirrors, and equipment. The equipment and uniform rooms were cleaned and inventory was taken. Safety straps on the backboards were also added. In general, the gym was cleaned and freshened up and now we just need to stay on top of things.

What do you think of the new paint job?

I love the new paint job. It now looks more like a high school gym and it mirrors the school colors of black and gold.