Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D surprisingly fun, entertaining

by Emily Wemhoff

ABC’s fresh new show, “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D,” is the first TV series in ages to portray superheroes successfully. As seen in the success of the Iron Man, Superman and Avengers franchises, today’s audiences enjoy a good action flick. This series does not disappoint with its high energy, eye-popping stunts and dramatic twists and turns.

The show is centered on Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg), leader of a group of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division) agents and their missions to investigate and protect the world from the unknown. From the beginning of the pilot, the viewers are plunged into a familiar universe (seen in The Avengers, Iron Man and Thor) where people with strange superhuman powers are a common sight.

Audience members who have no prior knowledge of the premise will have a hard time understanding what is going on. Essentially S.H.I.E.L.D. handles the identification of newly born superheroes as they come into awareness of their powers.

Even more interesting than the fact that the show is about a new exciting genre, it focuses on the “behind the scenes” side of the superheroes. Though superheroes are shown, the audience establishes a closer relationship with the men and women working behind them.

Though complicated at first, the show turns into pure entertainment and is filled with fun, cheeky dialogue between characters. Though we get the fun, the viewers also get to watch a mixture of drama sprinkled in. Maybe a little bit more drama than necessary, which is one of the show’s major faults.

“Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” establishes that it’s purpose is to exhilarate and entertain, but it has conflicting tones. Sometimes the cheeky dialogue goes a bit too far and the tone becomes more jovial than serious. Other times it’s a bit too dramatic with the more intense scenes.

If you didn’t like “The Avengers,” then this show is not for you. It’s far from perfect, but people are happy to see this genre on TV, so they will gladly watch it.