Six St. Teresa’s Academy seniors to participate in college sports

Six STA seniors are planning on playing a sport in college. Three of the plan to play soccer, one plans to play golf, one tennis, and one dance.  Each girl has committed except dancer Anna Gigliotti, who is trying-out for the Univeristy of Kansas’ dance team this weekend.

Kylie Hornbeck

Sport: Tennis

STA: 4 years on varsity

College: Trinity University

Best high school sport’s moment: “Probably sectionals this year because it was the most exciting tennis experience I’ve been involved in.  [Murphy Marx] and I were able to come back and win which helped the team make it to State.”

Did you always want to play tennis in college?: “Coming into freshman year I was like, ‘who would ever play in college?’ but as I got older I started playing a lot more and decided that I wanted to.”

When did you commit?: Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What are you most excited about for college sports?: “I’m excited for a new experience. I really enjoyed [high school tennis] but hopefully college tennis will be even better and I can improve more.”

Casey O’Flaherty

Sport: Golf

STA: 4 years on varsity

College: Rockhurst University

Best high school sport’s moment: “Probably this year at State when I got runner up and when the team got fourth.”

Did you always want to play golf in college?: “No, I actually started golf right before freshman year so I had never really thought about [playing in colle

ge].”

When did you commit?: “Well [Rockhurst University] contacted me when I was a junior and basically told me I would get a scholarship and that sounded pretty good to me so I was pretty much set on it. But I didn’t actually commit until last summer.”

What are you most excited about for college sports?: “Being a part of a different team and just being a part of a college team. And it will be cool to be a college athlete cause I never thought I’d be one.”

Maegan Kelly

Sport: Soccer

STA: 4 years on varsity

College: Marquette University

Best high school sport’s moment: “It would probably be last year in Burlington, Iowa when Cele got her finger stuck in the TV. That was one of the funniest moments at least.”

Did you always want to play soccer in college?: Yes

When did you commit?: February 2009

What are you most excited about for college sports?: “I’m probably most excited to play and compete at the collegiate level. It’s supposedly the highest level–higher than club and everything else. I’m also interested to just get to know the other girls on the team.”

Elizabeth Wilson

Sport: Soccer

STA: 4 years on varsity

College: University of Notre Dame

Best high school sport’s moment: “The moment that is most vivd in my head was [April 26] against [Shawnee Mission East High School] when we came back from three to zero to only lose four to three. It’s those moments when everyone is giving everything they have for the team that make me love soccer and so proud to be apart of this team, even though we lost the game.”

Did you always want to play soccer in college?: “I kind of went back and forth because I wanted to make sure it was a school I wanted to go to and that it fit academically. It just worked out that I could also play soccer.”

When did you commit?: July 2009

What are you most excited about for college sports?: “Hopefully traveling with the team to other colleges and seeing girls I know who are playing [soccer] in college. And hopefully representing Notre Dame.”

Anna Gigliotti

Sport: Dance

STA: 3 years varsity

College: The University of Kansas

Best high school sport’s moment: “Probably either when I was made dance team captain or when we got second at State.”

Did you always want to dance in college?: “No, I actually didn’t even dance until STA. When I decided on KU, my coach said I should consider trying out so that’s when I seriously considered it.”

When are tryouts?: April 30-May 2, 2010

What are you most excited about for college sports?: “KU basketball is huge at KU so I think performing at a bigger stadium is a big part of it. Just the ability to perform in front of multitudes of people and the chance to further my abilities are exciting.”

Kerry Cummings

Sport: Soccer

STA: 4 years on varsity

College: St. John’s University

Best high school sport’s moment: “I would definitely say the game where we lost to Incarnate Word at State two years ago. The game was so intense and it was just a battle between the two best teams in the state.”

Did you always want to play soccer in college?: “Ever since I can remember it’s been my dream to play at a [division] one college.”

When did you commit?: “I committed about a month ago. Yeah, I was a late bloomer.”

What are you most excited about for college sports?: “I think I’m most excited about playing at such a high level and playing against people at the same level. Also St. John’s is in the Big East Conference which is the most well know conference in women’s soccer so it will be cool playing against other great teams like Notre Dame, Marquette, and West Virginia.”